TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time user of the various flavors of the DirecTIVO DVRs and have been very happy. However, this weekend I purchased for my folks a TIVO branded 40 hour DVR.

The set up was as follows:

ProScan TV (2 inputs on the back - RF and the RCA red/white/yellow jacks)
Toshiba VCR/DVD player
TIVO 40 hour box

They have local cable TV, but no cable box.

They wanted me to split the incoming cable signal so they could watch a program while recording something on Tivo.

So, I used a splitter on the cable coming in from the wall. One output from the splitter went directly to one of the inputs on the back of the TV.

The other output from the splitter went to the RF in on the back of the Tivo player. I then ran a set of red/white/yellow RCA cables from the output on the Tivo to the input on the VCR. I then ran another set of red/white/yellow cables from the output on the VCR to the input on the back of the TV.

A couple of problems arose. First, I found that I still had to run a cable from the RF out on the back of the Tivo to the RF in on the back of the VCR to get a signal.

Then, I found that to watch TV with the TIVO player, the VCR had to be powered on and set to channel 3.

So, 2 questions. (1) why does the VCR need to be powered on. (2) With the red/white/yellow cables run the way I have, why do I still need the RF cable running from the DVR out to the VCR in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. A couple of follow ups.

Your alternative explanation explains how to avoid having to power the VCR on.

However, you say they don't need to split the cable coming in. Just select a recording from now playing while Tivo records something else.

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but my folks are old school. Let's use an example that will happen tonight (monday, Jan. 16). They have set Tivo to record tonight's showing of 24. While it's recording they want to be able to simultaneously watch the Golden Globe awards that are on at the same time tonight. Under your setup, can this be done?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.