TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
My impression is that modem tone does not seem to be supported on any voip connection. I suspect the way it compresses all the quiet bits in the call etc may be the problem.
The problem is normally the combination of the data-compression applied to the analogue waveform and the shift in the timebase that occurs when the resulting data gets turned into a packet transmission. Modems and faxes have fairly wide bandwidth requirements and expect constant transmission delays without any jitter. VoIP calls don't normally provide either of those. I've tried faxing over VoIP and even with the widest bandwidth codecs it was rarely successful.

There's a good article on modem/fax over VoIP at http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
tefster said:
The problem is normally the combination of the data-compression applied to the analogue waveform and the shift in the timebase that occurs when the resulting data gets turned into a packet transmission. Modems and faxes have fairly wide bandwidth requirements and expect constant transmission delays without any jitter. VoIP calls don't normally provide either of those. I've tried faxing over VoIP and even with the widest bandwidth codecs it was rarely successful.

There's a good article on modem/fax over VoIP at http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html
I've had some time off today so I have been searching around. It seems that US Series 1 owners have this problem doing the daily calls with VOIP too. Some never get this to work, some do using some tricks suggested by Vonage CS reps.

First to use dialling prefixs as suggested by someone here.

,#019
,#034
,#134

choosing one of these slows the modem down (do these work for UK Series 1s though?)

puts the VOIP adaptor into the right mode to hog the bandwith I think. The commas are important as it will instruct TiVO to pause.

Next some have found that an inverted or reversed ADSL Broadband filter works. The works for faxes too aparantly which is where the idea came from.

Here are some links if you are interested

http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=167909

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Sea...rOfResults=24&ResultsPerPage=5&isFormSubmit=1

Faxing with Vonage

Maybe I will ask TiVO CS themselves what's the number?

·
Tweaked and poked
1,846 Posts
BrianHughes said:
I doubt it'll work at all nevermind slowly. There just isn't the bandwidth over voip.
If you have a perfect internet connection (ha ha!), and a top notch VoIP adapter it could vaguely be possible, but I wouldn't bet anything on it, and in my testing I couldn't get it to work with my 24 meg connection and telecoms grade VoIP line. All you need is one wobble, and the connection goes.

So if you've got the above and providing your VoIP provider supports G.711A (not U) you have a vague chance as that is the exact same scheme that landlines in the UK use and so it gets dumped onto the BT network unchanged. However, they tend not to, as it's vastly more bandwidth hungry than the G729 that most in practice use.

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
Presumably the problem is not the bandwidth but the packetisation, and the lack of guarantee that packets will arrive in the right order on a circuit without an adequate Quality/Class Of Service setup. For voice we cope OK - we get occasional split seconds of graunch or motorboating, and carry on, but modem connections, even with resends and corrections, are a bit more fragile.

·
Tweaked and poked
1,846 Posts
Yup, I can't really grumble with voice - I've been using it for over a year now, with a UK number being delivered to Sweden and as far as anyone is concerned they are dealing with me in the UK.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
But so far as modems are concerned the moral of the story is clear that if you get rid of your landline you need to move on to only using IP based data communication technology that can use your broadband connection.

Seeing as how not having a BT landline saves you at least £132 a year whereas I in the countryside am not permitted that option by Ofcom (due to having to pay BT for a voice service with them I don't even use in order to get broadband) surely the best bet is to put the £132 towards the £80 or so now needed for a Cachecard and 512MB of RAM, as and when the discount Ebay seller starts selling them again after his summer holidays are over.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
A turbonet at 9thTee.com is $69.25+$26.25 shipping = $95.50 delivered or a cachecard $94.95+$26.75=$121.70 delivered. Assuming you don't have to pay duty and handling charges at the current exchange rates that brings them in at about £50 or £60 respectively.

If your VOIP tests fail then the option is there at the lowest price its been for a long time.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
AMc said:
A turbonet at 9thTee.com is $69.25+$26.25 shipping = $95.50 delivered or a cachecard $94.95+$26.75=$121.70 delivered. Assuming you don't have to pay duty and handling charges at the current exchange rates that brings them in at about £50 or £60 respectively.
Yes but the Ebay seller based in the UK was offering a Cachecard (not Turbonet) and 512MB of RAM delivered from the UK for about £82 the last thing I saw.

And don't forget that if you order direct from 9th Tee in the USA then the customs may decide to levy duty if you are unlucky and this will cost you about £20 extra due to Parcelforce International also levying a £12 admin fee if they have to pay any duty on your behalf on an overseas item.

That cheap Ebay deal is not currently there but I suspect the seller may be away on their summer holiday.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.