TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ditch my standard phone line (which is only really used by TiVO to make its call) and switch to a voip provider such as Sipgate. I will use a Voip adaptor such as the Linksys Pap2.

Will the daily call work over Voip? If you have got it to work can to tell me how and which provider you are using (it would need to allow 0800 numbers I presume?)

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roy. Getting an ethernet card just for the daily call would be an expensive way to go though. I'm interested in whether anyone has successfully done this and if so what percentage of calls are successful (and which provider).

TiVO is old technology now as we all know so I don't want to spend money on it when it is likely on it's way out in a year or two for HD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TCM2007 said:
Don't you have to keep the phone line to have the broadband connection?
Telewest now Virgin (that I have) removed the requirement for a compulsary phone line with Broadband some time ago.

I managed to get the Linksys Pap2 cheap from Ebay so I will try it while keeping my existing phone line. I will report back with the results.

May be some time though as this is coming from Hong Kong. Lets hope it turns up!

In the meantime I am still interested in all your opinions and whether anyone has got this to work.

Searching around the net there was some suggestion that fax machines might work so this could to?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
tefster said:
The problem is normally the combination of the data-compression applied to the analogue waveform and the shift in the timebase that occurs when the resulting data gets turned into a packet transmission. Modems and faxes have fairly wide bandwidth requirements and expect constant transmission delays without any jitter. VoIP calls don't normally provide either of those. I've tried faxing over VoIP and even with the widest bandwidth codecs it was rarely successful.

There's a good article on modem/fax over VoIP at http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html
I've had some time off today so I have been searching around. It seems that US Series 1 owners have this problem doing the daily calls with VOIP too. Some never get this to work, some do using some tricks suggested by Vonage CS reps.

First to use dialling prefixs as suggested by someone here.

,#019
,#034
,#134

choosing one of these slows the modem down (do these work for UK Series 1s though?)

puts the VOIP adaptor into the right mode to hog the bandwith I think. The commas are important as it will instruct TiVO to pause.

Next some have found that an inverted or reversed ADSL Broadband filter works. The works for faxes too aparantly which is where the idea came from.

Here are some links if you are interested

http://archive2.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=167909

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Sea...rOfResults=24&ResultsPerPage=5&isFormSubmit=1

Faxing with Vonage

Maybe I will ask TiVO CS themselves what's the number?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.