TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just found a great local deal on Tivos, and I was wondering two things.

First, I have the classic analog cable, however, I am lacking the program guide and such. Will TiVo allow me to receive a program guide? Also, will it act like a digital cable box?

Thanks.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,000 Posts
Yes, that's all I have is analog cable, and I LOVE the TiVo program guide. Of course, you must subscribe to TiVo; it's not free ;)!

·
Mostly Harmless
2,013 Posts
leslie0629 said:
First, I have the classic analog cable, however, I am lacking the program guide and such. Will TiVo allow me to receive a program guide? Also, will it act like a digital cable box?
A stand-alone Tivo has an EPG (electronic program guide). Guide data is downloaded via phone or broadband connection. So yes ... it will provide you with a (very nice) program guide.

Not sure about "act like a digital cable box". In addition to a guide, digital cable boxes can be used for:
1) Digital (QAM modulated) channels
2) VOD (video on demand) from your cable company
3) PPV (pay per view) from your cable company
4) Switched broadcast channels

Current stand-alone Tivos won't "act like a digital cable box" for any of these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I only meant for the program guide, how far in advance can it go? I never order PPVs or VODs, so I guess analog cable will be good with the TiVo, I don't see the reason of getting dig and its much cheaper. :)

Also, is the lifetime subscription worth its value? It seems like a great deal to me.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,000 Posts
TiVo's program guide (provided by Tribune Media Services) goes out 14 days.

Lifetime ($299) pays for itself after two years (24 months X $12.95 = $310.80).

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
I use TiVo with Analog cable and the guide data from TiVo (same as at www.zap2it.com) is cleaned up well for first run shows nad wishlist searches. better than the guide from the cable company.

if this is the first TiVo than lifetime is the way to go. Hook it up to broadband and you get some free online services from Yahoo as well - like audio podcasts playable on the TiVo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TiVo actually works best with Analog Cable. The on screen guide will work great. Take the plunge!

AC
Thanks for the advice. I have been unsure on which route to go here. I think you have helped clarify my options. I was wondering how Tivo would look on a lg led tv... does anyone have one of these? The picture looks great when I play DVDs on it, is the picture quality comparable? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.