TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have a Tivo Series 2 sitting in an apartment with no home network of any kind. Would it be possible to hook up a VHS or Laserdisc player to record the programs onto the offline TiVo and then carry the TiVo back home, hook up to my network and transfer the programming to my PC using TiVo Desktop? Or does there always have to be network connectivity when using the TiVo? Thx!
Retail VHS tapes may have macrovision copy protection. Laserdisc doesn't have any copy protection. The main issue would be that you would have no way to name the recordings on the tivo. You would have to send the composite or rf out from the vcr or laserdisc player to the corresponding input on the tivo so the tivo will think the input is really comming from channel 3 or channel 4. I think the titles would be what is in the guide for channel 3 or channel 4 or no program information available. There are a few specific S2 mondels with DVD recorders that will allow you name a recording from an external source.

Is it really worth the time and effort to do this when you could probably find the content on netflix or amazon prime? Unless you have a raid array or some type of backup scheme, your disk will eventually fail and you will lose the recordings.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I believe that the series 2 also did not care about Macrovision so the copy protection points don't apply.
It was stated previously that Tivo won't allow you to transfer macrovision recordings to your PC. The Tivo will record the shows with macrovision, but you have no way to transfer to your computer and rename the shows.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.