TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - my friend still has an old Ultimate TV DVR that hasn't died. He wants to put HD in - they are scheduled to come out on Febryary 8th to replace his dish.

He wants to know if he can someone keep the UltimateTV connected to record the non-HD shows.

I told him he should buy and HD Tivo DVR.

Who is right? And if he can keep the UltimateTV, how does is get lined up.

Thanks.

·
Just hangin'
30,958 Posts
Sure, just use the UTV separately. It is a DirecTV receiver as is the HDTiVo. He just needs two more lines from his dish and or multiswitch. The new dish is probably a triple LNB with four outputs, so two for the UTV and two for the HDTiVo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think he's getting an HDTivo (at least he wasn't planning to). He wanted to try and leave the UTV in the loop to record non-HD channels.

Will he still need four lines?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If he is not going to get a HD DVR he will only need three lines - two to the UTV and one to the new HD receiver. Why doesn't he want to get the HD Tivo? :confused:

·
Registered
832 Posts
The UTV will cost him $9.99/month vs. $4.99 for a DTivo. I like the UTV UI better than Tivo but the Tivo just does certain things better than any other DVR on the market. If he doesn't want to get a HDTivo (which is downright silly if he's switching to HD) then tell him he can pick up a used DTivo on ebay for less than $50. The difference in monthly fees will pay for the DTivo in less than a year. Since he'll have to commit to a 2-year extension anyway he'll save himself a bundle in the long run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is being outrageously cheap and doesn't want to pay for the HDTivo. What. Easy answer - get the HDTivo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts