TiVo Community Forum banner

Using a TiVo as a media center, without cable?

1420 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  stevejking
Hi all,

If I wanted to cancel my cable subscription, and just use the TiVo Desktop software to watch previously stored & downloaded content on my Series 2, do I still need the monthly TiVo subscription for this?

Thanks!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Yes, or everything will get disabled, but you can watch recordings already on the tivo.
Yes, or everything will get disabled, but you can watch recordings already on the tivo.
Not sure I understood the answer. Are you saying that you can watch what is in the Now Playing list on the Tivo but Tivo Desktop will no longer be able to transfer items off of the Tivo? If that is the case, my recommendation would be to transfer the files from the Tivo using the free program "kmttg" (Tivo To Go) prior to letting the subscription lapse. This program will let you convert the Tivo video file format to something more computer friendly.
Correct, transfers will be disabled, even guide data. Only things you can do without subscription is watch live TV or a pre-recorded video.
Personally, I would recommend not using a TiVo as a media client at all, let alone subscribing to the TiVo service just for that.

Get a Boxee Box or the like. It will cost a year and a bit of TiVo subscription fees, plus is more flexible.
I checked out Boxee, and Apple TV.. all things considered, I'm still quite happy with my Tivo, even for use as a media center. All I really want to do is be able to watch media files from my PC on my tv, since it has a much bigger screen, and a comfy couch in front of it. :)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.