TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
dshinnick said:
I found an R10 at a swap meet recently which I thought I'd pick up and add to my collection. It came with an access card. When I called Directv to have it activated the CSR said that it was still active on someone else's account and that it couldn't be transferred to me.

When I boot it up it runs fine, but there's a blue bar at the bottom telling me that I have an invalid access card (or something to that effect) and to call Directv. But if the box is still active on someone's account, and they're paying the monthly fee, why won't it run without that message? I'm not trying to mooch off someone else; I wish they would cancel the service. I'm just curious why I get the error message if it's a current subscription.

And, is there anything else I can do other than put it in my garage and call Directv once a month to see if the current owner finally realizes his/her box is gone and to stop paying for it?

Thanks for any ideas-
Dave
Looking at the last line, I wonder if the box is STOLEN?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
dtremain said:
My suspicion is that the previous owner owes money on their account. Directv will not re-authorize the unit if that is the case.
That would be my next guess!

Without giving you "details", I would imagine that DTV could tell you "we can't activate that unit unless the past due balance is cleared". If the box is still subscribed on an active account, why not contact that user? Of course they wouldn't provide the new users information.

Something as simple as " We received a call to activate one of your boxes on another account, is this okay with you"?

I don't know how far DTV gets involved in stolen/missing receivers.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
dshinnick said:
Well, if it's only $10, say, I wouldn't mind paying it. Figure Directv will let me do that?
The problem is that if it wasn't your account or you can't provide the name of the account holder, DTV "should not" disclose billing account (even the amount due) with anyone other than the account holder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.