TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is the SMALLEST drive I can set up as an internal for Bolt? I wonder if I could use MFSTOOLS to copy my single internal Bolt drive to a tiny 2.5" internal drive and a big external drive and really discourage Bolt from changing anything on the internal drive. Then I could just keep a backup for the internal drive for when it inevitably dies...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What is the SMALLEST drive I can set up as an internal for Bolt? I wonder if I could use MFSTOOLS to copy my single internal Bolt drive to a tiny 2.5" internal drive and a big external drive and really discourage Bolt from changing anything on the internal drive. Then I could just keep a backup for the internal drive for when it inevitably dies...
Sorry, when you add an external drive on the eSATA port, both drives are used to store movies and you have no control over which recordings go to which drive. Also, if either drive dies, you lose everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, when you add an external drive on the eSATA port, both drives are used to store movies and you have no control over which recordings go to which drive. Also, if either drive dies, you lose everything.
Yeah, but if I happen to have a recording that fills the internal drive (very small) completely and I never delete it?
When I remove an external drive, I still keep the recordings that I had before I added the external drive, so there's some level of control.

The point is, can we stop Bolt from using the internal drive? Put there a zero-size partition or something.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Yeah, but if I happen to have a recording that fills the internal drive (very small) completely and I never delete it?
When I remove an external drive, I still keep the recordings that I had before I added the external drive, so there's some level of control.
True, if and only if that recording existed prior to adding the external drive.

No reason to put a filler in the internal drive. If there is a recording split between the internal and external drive, it will be deleted when the external drive is removed. You will still have recordings that existed before adding the drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
True, if and only if that recording existed prior to adding the external drive.

No reason to put a filler in the internal drive. If there is a recording split between the internal and external drive, it will be deleted when the external drive is removed. You will still have recordings that existed before adding the drive.
The reason to have the filler in the internal drive is to make the internal drive easily replaceable WHILE keeping the external drive with all recordings.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
The reason to have the filler in the internal drive is to make the internal drive easily replaceable WHILE keeping the external drive with all recordings.
If you replace the internal drive without either cloning it to another drive or use MFSTools to copy the drive to another drive, you will lose all recordings on both drives.

So I am not following you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you replace the internal drive without either cloning it to another drive or use MFSTools to copy the drive to another drive, you will lose all recordings on both drives.

So I am not following you.
...Then I could just keep a backup for the internal drive for when it inevitably dies...
If the contents of the internal drive were not to change, because it's really small and filled up, then I could just restore it from backup.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
I see what you are getting at. You could restore it from the back up, but you will still lose programs from the time the backup was made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see what you are getting at. You could restore it from the back up, but you will still lose programs from the time the backup was made.
Why? Bolt keeps the database on the internal flash, right? What do you expect to be changing on the internal drive after the backup? Like I said, the goal is to minimize the internal drive to the point when nothing is changing there.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Why? Bolt keeps the database on the internal flash, right? What do you expect to be changing on the internal drive after the backup? Like I said, the goal is to minimize the internal drive to the point when nothing is changing there.
The inodes are still on the hard drive.

Reactions: drnay

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
It is NOT that hard to understand. The Bolt will format ANY NEW DRIVE that it sees. If the drive is not the same one that it saw the last time it was running, it will format the drive.

That is why ONLY a clone of the drive that was last booted will work. If it is a CLONE of the last drive that was active, it cannot tell the difference, so it accepts it as the same drive. But a restore of a backup will NOT be the exact same image as the drive had when the bolt was last shut down, since the restore comes from some older point in time.

I will summarize one more time in hopes that you will FINALLY accept what you have already been told many times:
You can shut down a Bolt, clone the drive that was in there, and it will restart without loosing recordings. BUT ANY OTHER CHANGE TO THE DRIVE WILL LOOSE ALL RECORDINGS AND START WITH A FRESH FORMAT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is NOT that hard to understand. The Bolt will format ANY NEW DRIVE that it sees. If the drive is not the same one that it saw the last time it was running, it will format the drive.

That is why ONLY a clone of the drive that was last booted will work. If it is a CLONE of the last drive that was active, it cannot tell the difference, so it accepts it as the same drive. But a restore of a backup will NOT be the exact same image as the drive had when the bolt was last shut down, since the restore comes from some older point in time.

I will summarize one more time in hopes that you will FINALLY accept what you have already been told many times:
You can shut down a Bolt, clone the drive that was in there, and it will restart without loosing recordings. BUT ANY OTHER CHANGE TO THE DRIVE WILL LOOSE ALL RECORDINGS AND START WITH A FRESH FORMAT!
You're still missing the point. The point was to keep the internal drive immutable, so a copy restored from the backup would be an exact "CLONE of the last drive that was active," so it couldn't tell the difference.
But if it keeps the inode map for both int/ext drives on the internal drive, then we can't keep the internal drive unchanging, so that idea goes down in flames.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice work, but frankly, how hard is it to drill a hole in the case? I've got an external working and this week plan to cut a small notch in the edge of the cover over the hdd to provide room for the cable. Then I'll put it all back together. And I won't have to worry about the 2.5" internal going bad which has happened to me twice now in two years.
I'm amazed at the thoughts on this board myself about how people are not willing to do this. As if people can tell what the back of the case looks like, and it somehow bothers them. Don't they know what a grommet is?

Spend a couple bucks at Lowes, HD, Menards, Ace, or whatever local hardware store you have, and install a grommet around your cable and over the hole. Then if they are that worried about it, it would look like it was supposed to be that way.

That they would rather have the box looking good then tv. I can only picture these people having these big tvs in there house, and the screen is facing the walls so instead of watching programs they get to look at those pretty cables and plugs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So is it an option to just leave the case off the tivo bolt and add a drive of any size hanging off the internal SATA port? It seems everyone here is concerned about what will "fit" in the case and not drilling the case. What if my bolt is in the closet and I don't care about what the hell it looks like? Can I keep the cover off (increase cooling) and hang a 3.5" internal off the internal SATA port and just let it "sit" on top without even mounting it? Any risks or downside?

·
Registered
107 Posts
So is it an option to just leave the case off the tivo bolt and add a drive of any size hanging off the internal SATA port? It seems everyone here is concerned about what will "fit" in the case and not drilling the case. What if my bolt is in the closet and I don't care about what the hell it looks like? Can I keep the cover off (increase cooling) and hang a 3.5" internal off the internal SATA port and just let it "sit" on top without even mounting it? Any risks or downside?
YES.

Risks: More dust? Downsides: Well then it won't look "as pretty" on your shelf because of that really cool case design.
My Awesome BOLT Cooling Mods ;-)

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I use a 3.5” drive and leave the case off so it fits, do I still have to use external power supply even if hooked up directly to the internal SATA port? From what I have read i think I will still need an extension can,e possibly and external SATA enclosure with its own power supply. Curious if anyone has done this with a 3.5” drive. Looks like poster above left case off but appears to be a 2.5” drive

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
If I use a 3.5" drive and leave the case off so it fits, do I still have to use external power supply even if hooked up directly to the internal SATA port? From what I have read i think I will still need an extension can,e possibly and external SATA enclosure with its own power supply. Curious if anyone has done this with a 3.5" drive. Looks like poster above left case off but appears to be a 2.5" drive
You will need to power the 3.5" drive with an external power supply. The Bolt does not supply enough power for the larger drives.

Reactions: marcv

·
Registered
58 Posts
You will need to power the 3.5" drive with an external power supply. The Bolt does not supply enough power for the larger drives.
Got it. So my gameplan would be to unhook the internal 500GB Tivo drive and go with external 3.5" drive, extension eSATA cable and just leave the case off the unit since it is in my closet so aesthetics are meaningless. I'm going pure function over form. I have the Bolt VOX 500GB and that thing is filling up insanely fast.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Got it. So my gameplan would be to unhook the internal 500GB Tivo drive and go with external 3.5" drive, extension eSATA cable and just leave the case off the unit since it is in my closet so aesthetics are meaningless. I'm going pure function over form. I have the Bolt VOX 500GB and that thing is filling up insanely fast.
eSATA is not advised. You should just use a long SATA cable from the Bolt plugged directly into the external hard drive but still use the power from the external enclosure.

Reactions: marcv and kpeters59

·
Registered
58 Posts
eSATA is not advised. You should just use a long SATA cable from the Bolt plugged directly into the external hard drive but still use the power from the external enclosure.
Ok so here is my shopping list of drive, enclosure and cables. I think I only need one of these cables though. One other poster had the right angle cable but if I'm leaving the top off I don't think I need to spend the 15 bucks on that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LMK what you think of these choices for upgrading Tivo Bolt 500GB to 3TB (mine is not the OTA Bolt) running TE4 and if any issues might cause this to not work.

3TB Purple WD Hard Drive (this is a PMR drive from what I can tell built for surveillance video 24/7):
https://amzn.to/2SSDFYv

Rosewell Enclosure:
https://amzn.to/2Qbhdb9

Extension cable to run out of the Rosewell Drive enclosure:
https://amzn.to/2Qzf5ZM

Right angle SATA 3 connector (this is one not sure if I need? Waste of 15 bucks? Maybe just use ones below?)
https://amzn.to/2QBQLpX

SATA 3 Cable (5 in this pack)
https://amzn.to/2sq5wV3

Thanks. I want to do this once and be done since it is a PIA and losing cablecard pairing, settings, recordings, etc. Read various things about some drives not being happy with TE4 but haven't read any specific issues with this drive. I would love to do a RAID 1 setup with 2 drives with an enclosure that presents the 2 drive raid array as a a single drive to tivo. Drives hot swappable in case one fails the enclosure will simply rebuild new drive on swap. I have read some stuff on this but seems not many have gone down this road or provided instructions on a clear successful implementation. Since mine is in a closet aesthetics do not matter and space no limits.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts