TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
It is known but how well known, I am not sure. It certainly is nice to have a nice write up on it. It certainly will help future users.

Reactions: LegoZ

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
Nice work, but frankly, how hard is it to drill a hole in the case? I've got an external working and this week plan to cut a small notch in the edge of the cover over the hdd to provide room for the cable. Then I'll put it all back together. And I won't have to worry about the 2.5" internal going bad which has happened to me twice now in two years.
Not hard but in his case, he wanted to wait until after his commitment is up which looks like includes a warranty.

Personally, I want something to look professional and have contemplated adding a eSata port to externalize the internal SATA port.

I am still working on trying to figure out why some drives work and others do not. I have yet found a 3.5" drive that does not work when connected internally to the Bolt. 2.5" drives is another matter.

Reactions: CIR-Engineering

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
Is 4TB the largest drive you can use for this method?
It depends. The MFS can be expanded 4 times via conventional methods which means you can add up to 8 TB external drive to a standard layout internal drive. Depending on how the internal drive was expanded, that number will go down.

Via non standard methods, you could add up to 16 TB external drive to a standard layout internal drive if you use coalesced partitions rather than standard partition pairs.

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
Well I didn't know you could do this. I don't think I would want to set up my TiVo this way because of doubling the risk of losing a drive, but it's good information nonetheless.

I wonder, could you possibly do the same thing with the internal HD removed or just unplugged. Making the eSATA port live would be wonderful!

Thanks,
craigr
I can confirm that externalizing the internal drive by attaching it to the eSata port does not work. This was attempted on a Premiere XL.

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
@barnabas1969 - excellent writeup! thanks for putting this together

I'm curious, are there any lag/speed issues using this external drive setup? Also, does the external drive always have to be plugged in or does the configuration get messed up if tivo is ever powered on without it (ie: is the external HD plug and play)? Finally, can I unplug the external drive and move it to another tivo box that has the external drive link enabled?

Thanks!
Sam
I do not have any lag issues with my setup which is a 3 TB Bolt + and 8 TB external drive.

Yes the external drive always needs to be plugged in. If the external drive is ever disconnected, the TiVo will ask to divorce the external drive. If you do, you will lose your recordings from the time the external drive was added.

You cannot move the external from one TiVo to another and retain recordings.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
Yeah, but if I happen to have a recording that fills the internal drive (very small) completely and I never delete it?
When I remove an external drive, I still keep the recordings that I had before I added the external drive, so there's some level of control.
True, if and only if that recording existed prior to adding the external drive.

No reason to put a filler in the internal drive. If there is a recording split between the internal and external drive, it will be deleted when the external drive is removed. You will still have recordings that existed before adding the drive.

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
The reason to have the filler in the internal drive is to make the internal drive easily replaceable WHILE keeping the external drive with all recordings.
If you replace the internal drive without either cloning it to another drive or use MFSTools to copy the drive to another drive, you will lose all recordings on both drives.

So I am not following you.

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
I see what you are getting at. You could restore it from the back up, but you will still lose programs from the time the backup was made.

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
Why? Bolt keeps the database on the internal flash, right? What do you expect to be changing on the internal drive after the backup? Like I said, the goal is to minimize the internal drive to the point when nothing is changing there.
The inodes are still on the hard drive.

Reactions: drnay

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
If I use a 3.5" drive and leave the case off so it fits, do I still have to use external power supply even if hooked up directly to the internal SATA port? From what I have read i think I will still need an extension can,e possibly and external SATA enclosure with its own power supply. Curious if anyone has done this with a 3.5" drive. Looks like poster above left case off but appears to be a 2.5" drive
You will need to power the 3.5" drive with an external power supply. The Bolt does not supply enough power for the larger drives.

Reactions: marcv

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts

·
der Neuerer
3,447 Posts
I have both a Bolt Vox 6 tuner and Roamio Plus 6 tuner. Does the Bolt Vox internal power have enough power for an 8TB drive? I put an 8TB drive in my Roamio and works great.

I noticed both have the exact same hard drive power connector on the motherboard. Does the Roamio have enough power to power a 10TB, 12TB drive internally with that connector?
My Roamio currently has a 12 TB drive in it and it is operating without issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts