TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,736 Posts
Using an eSATA drive as a TiVo expander "works", but I do NOT recommend it unless it is really the only option you have to meet a specific goal. The biggest issue is that if EITHER drive fails, you loose everything on BOTH drives. This is an especially worrisome risk with a Bolt, since we all know they have built a TERRIBLE record of early internal drive failures with that toy 2.5" format they use! There are very good reasons why the standard advice in these forum (not just from me) is to NOT attempt to use any eSATA expander now; there are just much better options to expand your storage space.

I used two different eSATA expanders for may years with a couple of S3 boxes - this was back when our largest internal option was 2TB. What I found during this time was that the eSATA plugs are absolute total garbage - they are touchy and finicky, easily unplugged, and often just develop problems even when they haven't been touched at all (poor pin contacts). In fact, just yesterday I pulled one off the shelf to do a full backup of a computer, and I had to plug the cable in several times before it started working properly!

So if you do decide to use the eSATA expansion method, I suggest that you make sure the TiVo and the external drive are located where they are NEVER touched/moved (think about dusting issues and getting behind them to reach wires going to other components). I do not use an eSATA expander with any TiVo anymore, and I would never Never NEVER consider using one with a Bolt. If I didn't want to modify the Bolt case, I would simply leave the back edge of the drive cover popped up 1/4" to snake a SATA cable in to the main connector so I could get rid of that toy internal drive completely.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,736 Posts
It is NOT that hard to understand. The Bolt will format ANY NEW DRIVE that it sees. If the drive is not the same one that it saw the last time it was running, it will format the drive.

That is why ONLY a clone of the drive that was last booted will work. If it is a CLONE of the last drive that was active, it cannot tell the difference, so it accepts it as the same drive. But a restore of a backup will NOT be the exact same image as the drive had when the bolt was last shut down, since the restore comes from some older point in time.

I will summarize one more time in hopes that you will FINALLY accept what you have already been told many times:
You can shut down a Bolt, clone the drive that was in there, and it will restart without loosing recordings. BUT ANY OTHER CHANGE TO THE DRIVE WILL LOOSE ALL RECORDINGS AND START WITH A FRESH FORMAT!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts