TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If TiVo supported USB keyboards, you could use one to type in text any time that very slow to use graphic keyboard display came up.

If typing in text was easy, who knows what else a TiVo could do. We could send E-Mails, post on forums, chat with the world... :D

Next suggestion: Video cameras! :eek:

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
I'd settle for a basic IR keyboard, for entering things instead of using the "Ouija" keayboards.

The TiVo is spread thin enough to become a communication device. If you want to do that on your TV, get a WebTV.

· Registered
117 Posts
USB keyboard support should be a no brainer. Skip all the extra communications features that might come along with it, but I would actually use the search features, especially considering the fact I have a wireless keyboard with USB receiver.

· Premium Member
307 Posts
I could go for USB keyboard support. Heck, if Microsoft can churn out a mini-keyboard for the Xbox 360, then TiVo should probably be able to support his feature. Might as well do something with that extra USB port.

· Hardcore TiVo Geek
2,853 Posts
Sirius Black said:
Just curious... USB is a standard. Tivo runs on a flavor of Linux. Linux supports USB. This should be incredibly easy to implement.
There's more to it than that. USB is a connection standard. Linux is just a kernel. The TiVo would need to support the USB input device profile for keyboards, and then all of the TiVo software would have to be changed to accept that input. Even if the kernel understood keyboard input, it means nothing if the application isn't coded to listen to the device and accept the input - and right now it isn't, as far as we know.

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
They'd need kernel drivers for the various keyboard chips, which would put them into a similar mess as the are for network adapters (but less so, probably).

People would want a wireless keyboard, which would be more of a driver and system resource mess.

I stand by my previous statement. Give us (in the figurative sense) a basic IR keyboard. 45 key maybe.

· Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed that I can watch You Tube video content on my Tivo. Using the remote control to search You Tube is unwieldy. Having a wireless keyboard that I can use to search You Tube (and other things), would be infinetly more convenient than the current set up.

Does Tivo Support USB keyboards yet?

· Registered
51 Posts
If TiVo supported USB keyboards, you could use one to type in text any time that very slow to use graphic keyboard display came up.
I really do love this idea. As TiVo adds more and more great features that use the "Ouija" search, I find myself wanting a keyboard that much more.

Another alternative would be a redesigned (probably "Premium") remote that includes letters, similar to a telephone. The functionality would be similar to cell phone texting (press "2" twice to get "B," etc.), and they could even include that feature (my phone calls it "T9 Word") where the software automatically guesses words based on the first few letters.

This would make Wishlists, searches, Youtube, Rhapsody, and just about everything else - infinitely easier on the TiVo.

· Registered
4 Posts
They'd need kernel drivers for the various keyboard chips, which would put them into a similar mess as the are for network adapters (but less so, probably).

People would want a wireless keyboard, which would be more of a driver and system resource mess.

I stand by my previous statement. Give us (in the figurative sense) a basic IR keyboard. 45 key maybe.
Geeze..I'd be happy if they put a freaking PS2 keyboard port on it. Then at least I could get a USB adapter....

· Well-Known Mumbler
Rooting for the antihero
11,765 Posts
USB keyboards are covered as a basic "human interface device", the same for all of them. And of course, Linux already has the necessary drivers. The only issue would be supporting it in tivoapp -- probably easy.

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
I thought it may be more that that, but if it an HID driver will is all that there is needed for a wired keyboard or PS2 USB adapter, and maybe some Bluetooth Adapters (mine comes up as a Hub with HID keyboard/mouse, and a Bluetooth device).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.