TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crazy Cat
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Series2 540080 Tivo that had the sound quit. I am going to get a newer model Series 2 to replace it. (TCD649080 or TCD649180) The old Tivo has a 750 HD inside it that has many shows that I would like to keep. Can I just put that old drive in the new system? If not, is there anyway to preserve the recordings? Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
The only way to swap drives between Tivos is if you have the both units hacked and encryption was disabled on the original Tivo prior to making any recordings. Note that this would require a PROM mod on the original Tivo before you could disable encryption. You would need to run the 51killer.tcl script after transplanting the drive to get rid of the hardware error #51 message. Otherwise, you're SOL.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Or TiVoToGo to your PC, then back to the new Tivo. Of course, you need an HDD on the PC big enough.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am considering the same thing and have a Series 1 SA unit that I'm looking at replacing with the Series 2 Dual Tuner since TiVo is running a special allowing me to transfer my lifetime subscription.

Can I keep my recordings from the Series 1 and get them on to the new Series 2?

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
djsting said:
Can I keep my recordings from the Series 1 and get them on to the new Series 2?
Not easily, within rules of discussion here (ie: extraction).
You are better off just keeping it to the side and viewing as desired, or have a TiVo recording watch-off weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts