TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· tivoheaven.co.uk
2,883 Posts
I wouldn't put a Maxtor drive in a TiVo. IMHO it's not worth saving a few $$ by putting cheap drives in a TiVo as it will eat them for breakfast.

Go for Seagate or Samsung drives. If you can get the Samsung HA250JC all the better as it's whisper quiet and runs cool as a cucumber with virtually no vibration or hum in 99% of cases :up:

· Registered
2,196 Posts
The $30 Fed-X Saver shipping and getting only a 30-Day warranty makes the deal a lot less attractive. The drive's specs look great for use in a TiVo.

I'm not so sure about the dealer with there having the un-need extras checked by default really irritates me especially the shipping insurance. Have you delt with them before?

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i just used pricewatch really quick and found that.....

I ended up going with a maxtor quickview 250 gig. I love maxtor and have never had one fail on me......(i have one in a junk PC going on 5 years now or so.....)

http://shop.atriniti.com/

I never dealt with these guys either but they have some pretty good reviews

· Registered
70 Posts
blindlemon said:
I wouldn't put a Maxtor drive in a TiVo. IMHO it's not worth saving a few $$ by putting cheap drives in a TiVo as it will eat them for breakfast.

Go for Seagate or Samsung drives. If you can get the Samsung HA250JC all the better as it's whisper quiet and runs cool as a cucumber with virtually no vibration or hum in 99% of cases :up:
Maxtor drives are no "cheaper" than any of the other major manufacturer's drives. If you read enough of these (or any other hardware messageboard) messageboards, you will see all kinds of "I will never buy another xxxxx hard drive again!..." messages and every manufacturer will be named at one point or another. That said, the incompatiblity problem reported with some of the newer DiamondMax 10 drives is enough to keep me away from them.

That Samsung drive you linked does look like the ideal PVR drive, however. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be available anywhere in the States right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.