1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I need some help!

trying to upgrade 120+30gb tivo to 2*250gb

I've booted into knoppix, and I've done a security backup of A&B no probs. now I want to copy everything including the programs to my 1st 250gb disk. using the command

mfstool backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfstool restore -r 4 -s 127 -pxi - /dev/hdd

and after scanning it says

"backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself"

which is rubbish, cos it is!

my bios and knoppix see hdd as 250GB

any idea what might be wrong?

thanks

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is it anything to do with having increased the space in the past? mfstools info says that it can be expanded 3 more times...

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've left the -x out and now it's going. I'm hoping to be able to expand as a separate operation. is that going to be the case?

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while we're on the subject of super large tivos, the info says that new tivo sw will break because of the kernel differences. is there a way I can prevent new tivo software being installed?

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to avoid post 1 looking daft - I'd have had to reworded it, and I couldn't be arsed ;)

·
VM Tivo User
9,015 Posts
Fair enough. I never worry about that :p

I was going to correct your command-line as it doesn't look quite right to me, but I wouldn't want to make you go more wrong that you have already :) However....

doubledrat said:
mfstool backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfstool restore -r 4 -s 127 -pxi - /dev/hdd
My thoughts...
1. Shouldn't that restore command include a z in the switches? ie -xzpi
2. I thought you were using 2 NEW disks so shouldn't there be a second disk reference in the restore?

As I said, I could be totally off but I'm sure someone who knows for sure will be along shortly :D

·
Grumpy Sod
674 Posts
-z re-orders the partition layout to the DTiVo version, it doesn't really matter, it is marginally faster ( possibly. )

I know everybody loves MFStool for everything but personally I would have dd'd the 120GB to a 250GB, then the 30GB to a 250GB, installed the new kernel and *then* used MFStool to expand both drives out.

Rgds,

R.

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rob, would dd be quicker? only it's taking FOREVER (1.5% at the mo)

PS: Carl : I only have 4 ide on this pc, so with a boot cd and the 2 tivo drives I can't do it all in 1 go

·
Grumpy Sod
674 Posts
The speed of dd seems to be very variable with different people/machines.

I get ( using a none byteswapped boot CD ) about 20GB/hour using bs=32k, upping to bs=1024k should speed things up. This is on an old P2-300 Compaq, using a more modern machine should also help.

Rgds,

R.

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I'm using an old p4 1.4 with 512mb, so I would hope it would go faster than it is at the moment! it's doing about 5gb/hr! I'll try it and report back...

cheers

·
A Friend of Dot
752 Posts
Was out all afternoon so only just come across this thread. One thing of concern is your swap size - it is going to be way too small for a total of 500GB of disk space.

Using the MFSTOOLS method, I would have put the new disk on hda and the TiVo A and B drives on hdc and hdb and adjusted the commands accordingly adjusting the swap to around 300MB minimum.

HTH

Mike

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mike: I read that there's a bug in mfstools and it won't do > 127 properly. I intend to increase the swap later with "tpip"

·
A Friend of Dot
752 Posts
just set swap bigger and copykern will invoke tpip and fix it

·
A Friend of Dot
752 Posts
BTW the reason for putting the new disk on hda is to hopefully avoid byteswapping issues as MFSTOOLS will do the byteswapping internally on hda which is not byteswapped by default.

·
Grumpy Sod
674 Posts
The swap space is created correctly but not initialised if >127MB when using mfstool

When ( if ) you use the copykern procedure the swap file gets correctly initialised.

Rgds,

R.

·
should know better
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, I got fed up waiting for the copy of the content (ran all night and only copied 40GB!), so I've decided to lose all recordings. I'm not reusing the old disks - is there a way of getting at the old recordings through linux? I know it can't be discussed, but just knowing it's possible would be useful.

ta

1 - 20 of 24 Posts