TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· should know better
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I need some help!

trying to upgrade 120+30gb tivo to 2*250gb

I've booted into knoppix, and I've done a security backup of A&B no probs. now I want to copy everything including the programs to my 1st 250gb disk. using the command

mfstool backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfstool restore -r 4 -s 127 -pxi - /dev/hdd

and after scanning it says

"backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself"

which is rubbish, cos it is!

my bios and knoppix see hdd as 250GB

any idea what might be wrong?

thanks

· should know better
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while we're on the subject of super large tivos, the info says that new tivo sw will break because of the kernel differences. is there a way I can prevent new tivo software being installed?

· VM Tivo User
6,099 Posts
Fair enough. I never worry about that :p

I was going to correct your command-line as it doesn't look quite right to me, but I wouldn't want to make you go more wrong that you have already :) However....

doubledrat said:
mfstool backup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfstool restore -r 4 -s 127 -pxi - /dev/hdd
My thoughts...
1. Shouldn't that restore command include a z in the switches? ie -xzpi
2. I thought you were using 2 NEW disks so shouldn't there be a second disk reference in the restore?

As I said, I could be totally off but I'm sure someone who knows for sure will be along shortly :D

· Grumpy Sod
279 Posts
-z re-orders the partition layout to the DTiVo version, it doesn't really matter, it is marginally faster ( possibly. )

I know everybody loves MFStool for everything but personally I would have dd'd the 120GB to a 250GB, then the 30GB to a 250GB, installed the new kernel and *then* used MFStool to expand both drives out.

Rgds,

R.

· should know better
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rob, would dd be quicker? only it's taking FOREVER (1.5% at the mo)

PS: Carl : I only have 4 ide on this pc, so with a boot cd and the 2 tivo drives I can't do it all in 1 go

· Grumpy Sod
279 Posts
The speed of dd seems to be very variable with different people/machines.

I get ( using a none byteswapped boot CD ) about 20GB/hour using bs=32k, upping to bs=1024k should speed things up. This is on an old P2-300 Compaq, using a more modern machine should also help.

Rgds,

R.

· VM Tivo User
6,099 Posts
doubledrat said:
PS: Carl : I only have 4 ide on this pc, so with a boot cd and the 2 tivo drives I can't do it all in 1 go
Hmmm. Don't know how you're acheiving it, but I assume you're piping everything onto the one 250 then adding the second as a 'B' drive?

· A Friend of Dot
154 Posts
Was out all afternoon so only just come across this thread. One thing of concern is your swap size - it is going to be way too small for a total of 500GB of disk space.

Using the MFSTOOLS method, I would have put the new disk on hda and the TiVo A and B drives on hdc and hdb and adjusted the commands accordingly adjusting the swap to around 300MB minimum.

HTH

Mike

· A Friend of Dot
154 Posts
BTW the reason for putting the new disk on hda is to hopefully avoid byteswapping issues as MFSTOOLS will do the byteswapping internally on hda which is not byteswapped by default.

· VM Tivo User
6,099 Posts
doubledrat said:
mike: I read that there's a bug in mfstools and it won't do > 127 properly. I intend to increase the swap later with "tpip"
Really? First time I've ever heard that on this Forum and I've done two >127 upgrades recently with 300mb swap-files with no problems :)

· should know better
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, I got fed up waiting for the copy of the content (ran all night and only copied 40GB!), so I've decided to lose all recordings. I'm not reusing the old disks - is there a way of getting at the old recordings through linux? I know it can't be discussed, but just knowing it's possible would be useful.

ta

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.