TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,589 Posts
High 50's to 60 is WAY too hot. The usual maximum recommended operating temperature for a hard drive is 50°C to 55°C. Since your Philips DirecTiVo is black, I'm assuming it is a DSR-6000. These were VERY badly designed for cooling. Basically, they push hot air out the bottom right of the unit, where it flows under the unit and back in the bottom left.

Check out these instructions to improve cooling: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=109426

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow. What a thread! I read the whole thread and feel a bit overwhelmed. (Yes, it is a Phillips DSR6000, and it does not seem very well designed for airflow!)

First: With the cover off, it is now ranging from 41C to 46C. I plan to keep checking, but it seems that this is okay. Any downsides to just leaving the cover off?

The gap between the top of component in that stack and the top of the unit is very slim, so propping the unit up to allow more airflow underneath doesn't seem to be feasible. However, some of those modifications seem like good ideas!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.