TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
gmcc said:
I just took a look through Seagate's current products and don't see anything with any reference to DB 25. Is this in a current series of Seagate stuff?
It's DB35 Series.

DB35.1

DB35.2

DB35.3 Currently the latest model. model # ending with ACE (PATA) for Tivo Series 1 and 2, ending with SCE (SATA) for Tivo S3 and TivoHD

DB35.4 Latest model soon to be released including 1TB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a new HD. Is there a way for a real techno-dummy to activate and use the e-sata port? I am running release candidate 9.1.L5 software

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
phonefixers said:
I have a new HD. Is there a way for a real techno-dummy to activate and use the e-sata port? I am running release candidate 9.1.L5 software
Look at the bottom of Spike2K5's message Tivo HD Upgrade

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guy Kuo said:
If you use the mfsCopy function in winMFS to copy the old drive to a new, larger drive, your recorded programs will be preserved. At the end of the mfsCopy operation, you'll be asked if you want to expand the new drive to use its larger capacity. It's all done quite easily if one uses Spike's winMFS.

I'd get a drive which is already factory set for quiet head seeks or one which supports user setting of acoustic management. That means be careful about Seagates since you don't get to set acoustic managment on their drives. If you want a Seagate, get one which is already factory set for quiet operation.
I finally had some free time this week and got around to doing this and I must say, it went very well without a problem. Well, there were some problems but none related to MFSLive but rather to a couple of bad CD's and one dead CD player.

I used a 160G drive as the replacement because I had it in stock, which made it pretty much free for the moment and I'm not sure I need or want much more than that anyway. I was slightly worried that the drive might make too much racket for the living room but I don't hear it at all once in the case. (it was not a made-for-this drive, just a Seagate ST3160023A Barracuda)

GMcC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unless you are buying a Seagate DB 35 drive which is tuned for DVR's. Western Digitals with the part number ending in JB such as the WD3200JB are tuned for DVR's while those ending in BB are tuned for speed and may no last as long. I just bought a Diamond MAX 21 which is made by Seagate, the drive is quiet and only $99.99 for 500 GB.
Where did you find a 500GB for $99?

Thanks,
Bod

·
Registered
62 Posts
I finally had some free time this week and got around to doing this and I must say, it went very well without a problem. Well, there were some problems but none related to MFSLive but rather to a couple of bad CD's and one dead CD player.

I used a 160G drive as the replacement because I had it in stock, which made it pretty much free for the moment and I'm not sure I need or want much more than that anyway. I was slightly worried that the drive might make too much racket for the living room but I don't hear it at all once in the case. (it was not a made-for-this drive, just a Seagate ST3160023A Barracuda)

GMcC
Reply to myself just to get this in the thread: My upgrade noted above is working mostly trouble free, except for an occasional few moments of pixelization from time to time in various recordings.

I can't really know if this is due to the drive I used, or the CATV system getting marginal from time to time. I suppose if it continues I might break down and buy a specific drive for it and do it over (I still have my original drive stored in a safe place).

GMcC

·
Registered
235 Posts
And to complicate things further.. while an end user might not be able to set acoustical management on the Seagate drives if you buy their DB35 DVR drives you will be getting a dead quiet, higly reliable drive. This is why Weaknees sells them almost exclusively. Personally I wouldn't use the Western Digital as I see their failure rate being much higher in my place of business and in prior Tivo's I've owned. I have a pair of the DB35 750gb's in my HR10-250 and they can't be heard in our home theater.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use the Western Digital as I see their failure rate being much higher in my place of business
Yup... I don't buy WD for work anymore and in fact I stick with Seagate for just the reason you mentioned.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Has anyone considered the 2.5" notebook hard drives? They are up to 500GB in size and would theoretically be the quietest/coolest drives.

If so, would you choose 5400RPM or 7200RPM? Obviously 7200 is faster, do you need that speed for HD recording?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.