TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Nothing unusual about TiVo IR codes that would make them unlearnable. But cheap learning remotes have finite learning capacity. If you’ve already learned a couple dozen commands for other devices, you’ve probably hit the limit.

The only unlearnable protocol I’ve come across is the XMP protocol used by some Comcast cable boxes. It has some very subtle encoding differences that many IR leaning processors can miss.

I don’t know of any waterproof remotes as that’s never been something I’ve looked for.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
In theory, because the IR code is slightly changed for each unit ID, I suppose there is a small chance that one might be accepted when others are not.
Not a chance. There is a much bigger difference from one command to the next than one address to the next. I wouldn’t bother changing addresses.

But some techniques can make learning more successful, like long button presses and putting the remotes about 3 inches apart.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Yeah, but, I'm desperate.
I haven't found any universal remote that will control Tivo and Fosi right out of the shrinkwrap.
Every waterproof learning remote that I've found just can't handle the job.
I don't want to use my Harmony in the hottub.

At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything, including spending some money for the right device.
View attachment 73196

The instructions for the Luckystar remote are written in Chenglish with multiple grammatical and functional errors.
But, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. After all, the same technique works for the Fosi.
Can you post the learning instructions? I'm not convinced every button can learn.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
What you wrote is different than the instructions. They say to hold the learning button on the Lucky for a full second, not just touch. As a test, just try learning one function and hold the destination button for a second or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts