TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, this request is a bit bizarre, but please humor me.

I have a Samsung 55" smart TV with a Tivo Mini and a Fosi DA-2120 2.1 amplifier.
I would love to find a remote control that can control all three devices.
I thought I had the problem solved when I found this Luckystar WP-154AL1.
The great thing about it? It is totally waterproof and floats in the hottub.
The bad thing about it? The learning function does not seem to accept any Tivo codes.

Can anybody offer any suggestions?
Most "universal" remotes aren't really waterproof or they don't have enough buttons or they don't have learning capability.
Most preprogrammed remotes have never heard of Tivo.
Are Tivo codes unique in some way so that they can't be learned by a "universal" remote?
Are there any preprogrammed codes that I should try?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The bad thing about it? The learning function does not seem to accept any Tivo codes.
You don't say which model TiVo or Mini you have, but it is possible that the remote you are using to teach your universal remote is in RF (Radio Frequency) mode. Most learning remotes require IR (Infrared) mode. So, you can try changing to IR mode, teach your universaal remote, and then swap back to RF mode.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't say which model TiVo or Mini you have, but it is possible that the remote you are using to teach your universal remote is in RF (Radio Frequency) mode. Most learning remotes require IR (Infrared) mode. So, you can try changing to IR mode, teach your universal remote, and then swap back to RF mode.

View attachment 73127
Great thought, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.
The remote that I'm using does have RF capability, but it is unpaired. The red light flashes with every keypress, not the yellow light. I have also tried an old Series-1 remote with the same frustrating results.

Can you imagine some other reason that a universal learning remote would not accept a Tivo IR signal?
Just cheap Chinese junk?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Nothing unusual about TiVo IR codes that would make them unlearnable. But cheap learning remotes have finite learning capacity. If you’ve already learned a couple dozen commands for other devices, you’ve probably hit the limit.

The only unlearnable protocol I’ve come across is the XMP protocol used by some Comcast cable boxes. It has some very subtle encoding differences that many IR leaning processors can miss.

I don’t know of any waterproof remotes as that’s never been something I’ve looked for.

·
TDL shepherd
17,451 Posts
I was going to make the same “RF mode” comment as pl1, and would never dispute anything mdavej has to say as regards remote controls; so my only remaining thought is to try the TiVo “teaching” remote with a few different IR addresses (0,1,2).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to make the same “RF mode” comment as pl1, and would never dispute anything mdavej has to say as regards remote controls; so my only remaining thought is to try the TiVo “teaching” remote with a few different IR addresses (0,1,2).
Thank you for that suggestion, one that I had not considered.
In theory, because the IR code is slightly changed for each unit ID, I suppose there is a small chance that one might be accepted when others are not.
I will try try that tomorrow, but I'm not at all optimistic.
How many unit ID"s (IR remote address) are supported by the old remotes? 4? more?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing unusual about TiVo IR codes that would make them unlearnable. But cheap learning remotes have finite learning capacity. If you’ve already learned a couple dozen commands for other devices, you’ve probably hit the limit.
I'm only interested in controlling 3 devices from my hottub and I really only need a few functions from each:
Samsung smart TV, Fosi 2.1 amp, and Tivo Mini.
For any of the more exotic functions, I still have the original 3 remotes that I can use with dry hands.

But, you have given me another idea to try. Before I do any more experimenting, I am going to set both device channels in the Luckystar WP-1545AL1 back to factory defaults and remove the battery overnight. Maybe that will give me a clean slate to try programming again.

Input device Product Remote control Communication Device Gesture

This device has the Samsung codes built-in, so I suppose I should start by activating those as a baseline.
No such luck for Fosi and Tivo. Neither appears to use any of the many firmware codes, so they will need to be learned. I'll try adding some Tivo functions first, then move on to the essential Fosi functions like volume and mute .

Because some of the buttons will need to perform dual functions, I feel like the Tivo button programming MUST be put into the "SAT/CBL/Stream" channel. Fosi settings could really be put into either channel, or ideally, both.

Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic instrument Font Gadget

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
In theory, because the IR code is slightly changed for each unit ID, I suppose there is a small chance that one might be accepted when others are not.
Not a chance. There is a much bigger difference from one command to the next than one address to the next. I wouldn’t bother changing addresses.

But some techniques can make learning more successful, like long button presses and putting the remotes about 3 inches apart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a chance. There is a much bigger difference from one command to the next than one address to the next. I wouldn’t bother changing addresses.

But some techniques can make learning more successful, like long button presses and putting the remotes about 3 inches apart.
Yeah, but, I'm desperate.
I haven't found any universal remote that will control Tivo and Fosi right out of the shrinkwrap.
Every waterproof learning remote that I've found just can't handle the job.
I don't want to use my Harmony in the hottub.

At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything, including spending some money for the right device.
Forehead Smile Chin Eyebrow Facial expression

The instructions for the Luckystar remote are written in Chenglish with multiple grammatical and functional errors.
But, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. After all, the same technique works for the Fosi.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Yeah, but, I'm desperate.
I haven't found any universal remote that will control Tivo and Fosi right out of the shrinkwrap.
Every waterproof learning remote that I've found just can't handle the job.
I don't want to use my Harmony in the hottub.

At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything, including spending some money for the right device.
View attachment 73196

The instructions for the Luckystar remote are written in Chenglish with multiple grammatical and functional errors.
But, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. After all, the same technique works for the Fosi.
Can you post the learning instructions? I'm not convinced every button can learn.

·
Remote Czar
6,918 Posts
You have a Harmony remote, and it controls the Tivo? Then the TiVo is for sure in IR mode. And should easily be taught to learning remote if it has enough memory.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have a Harmony remote, and it controls the Tivo? Then the TiVo is for sure in IR mode.
No. I didn't say that. I have a Harmony remote that I haven't used for several years. But, back in the day, it had no trouble learning Tivo codes.
Regardless, there is nothing that prevents any Tivo device from operating in both IR and RF mode. I have that going on in several rooms.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you post the learning instructions? I'm not convinced every button can learn.
Sure. The Luckystar instructions are attached.

As I said, they are written in Chenglish and I've found at least one significant functional error (step 3).
The procedure that has sometimes worked for me is this:
  1. Hold SAT and Vol+ for 4 seconds. SAT light comes on steady
  2. Point original remote about 3-5 cm and hold any button
  3. Move other remote closer or farther until SAT light begins flashing
  4. Touch a button on the Luckystar. SAT light stops flashing and stays on steady
  5. Repeat for all buttons to be programmed
  6. Within 25 seconds, hold SAT and Vol- to save your work. SAT light blinks and goes off.
After doing all this, none of the buttons I thought I had programmed have any effect on the Tivo mini.
If you have any suggestions how I might improve my results, I would love to hear from you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
What you wrote is different than the instructions. They say to hold the learning button on the Lucky for a full second, not just touch. As a test, just try learning one function and hold the destination button for a second or two.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What you wrote is different than the instructions. They say to hold the learning button on the Lucky for a full second, not just touch. As a test, just try learning one function and hold the destination button for a second or two.
That may be a distinction without a difference because the blinking stops instantly when the button is pressed on the learning remote.

But, as I've said, I'm desperate. So, I will try your suggestion and report back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts