TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,069 Posts
I believe TiVo has tested undelete in the past, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. I guess it would be a welcome addition to some people. Frankly, I have a huge hard drive and could care less what gets deleted that isn't marked as keep until delete.
 

·
I Love my TiVo!
Joined
·
199 Posts
Dajad said:
I wish the archives on this forum went back to November of 1999 so I could link to the thread where I first requested this feature! Yay is right! But I'd still rather an an FSI!

...Dale
Could you clarify please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
FSI--> Free Space Indicator. A direct way of seeing how many GB (or hours) remaining on your HD.

Michael
 

·
I can't explain
Joined
·
25,527 Posts
and to make this thread utterly repetitive on the request for features ;)
I wnat a feature to create my own folders and put shows into the the folders as I see fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Dajad said:
I wish the archives on this forum went back to November of 1999 so I could link to the thread where I first requested this feature! Yay is right! But I'd still rather an an FSI!

...Dale
Well, if you think about it, this could almost act as a sort of FSI...Seeing that you can look in the folder to see how much "room" is left on the hard drive...
 

·
I can't explain
Joined
·
25,527 Posts
supersportsfan said:
Well, if you think about it, this could almost act as a sort of FSI...Seeing that you can look in the folder to see how much "room" is left on the hard drive...
that folder is called suggestions ;)
 

·
sedentary adventurer
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
Dajad said:
I wish the archives on this forum went back to November of 1999 so I could link to the thread where I first requested this feature! Yay is right! But I'd still rather an an FSI!

...Dale
I've never understood the desire for a FSI. Undelete, however, is crucial.

I stopped deleting my shows after watching them, because there was no undelete. This was not a problem for me once I had enough TiVos with enough diskspace.

However, it meant that, even though I allowed Suggestions, very few Suggestions actually got recorded, because my hard drives were full of shows I refused to delete. Now that I can delete without worrying about the occasional unfixabble mistaken deletion, I expect I'll start seeing more Suggestions in my Suggestions folder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
It's funny how everyone of these new features have been available for years as hacks. TiVo should scour the hacking community before releasing the Series 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
ZeoTiVo said:
and to make this thread utterly repetitive on the request for features ;)
I wnat a feature to create my own folders and put shows into the the folders as I see fit.
Ooh, oh like I could put shows in a file that I've watched but my husband hasn't......

how novel :rolleyes:
 

·
Señor Senior, Jr.
Joined
·
839 Posts
I would be interested to know how TiVo would balance "space taken by deleted shows" versus "space taken by Suggestions". I would guess that a deleted show would be permanently removed after a certain timespan (3 days?), but I'm sure they would need some usability testing on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
I would be happy if I only had an hour to restore the deleted program. I'm so used to pressing "Left, Up, Select" to delete a show when I'm done watching it, its become habit. I always remember that I wanted to keep a show the second after I deleted it.
 

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
Joined
·
3,302 Posts
falc122727 said:
It's funny how everyone of these new features have been available for years as hacks. TiVo should scour the hacking community before releasing the Series 3.
Hacks don't have to meet the same level of QA and user testing that production code has. And the production code has to be maintainable and supportable. So while there may be 'quick and dirty' ways to do things as hacks, and that's fine for those willing to take the risks along with the rewards, you can't take the same risks on standard software.
 

·
sedentary adventurer
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
Gene S said:
I would be happy if I only had an hour to restore the deleted program. I'm so used to pressing "Left, Up, Select" to delete a show when I'm done watching it, its become habit. I always remember that I wanted to keep a show the second after I deleted it.
Exactly! That's what some people just don't seem to "get": it doesn't matter how many "are you really sure you want to delete that?" nag screens there are; we get used to blasting right past them out of habit. And if you ordinarily don't save anything after watching, you don't remember that you wanted to save something until after you deleted it! So even an hour would be enough for most people. However, if one did not mind taking the hit on available space for future recordings, having the ability to customize for longer grace periods would be nice, which is useful if you live with other people and you might not find out they deleted something you wanted to save until many hours later.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top