TiVo Community Forum banner
601 - 606 of 606 Posts

·
Seems Very Friendly
13,289 Posts
just wanted to mention I have been using netgear powerline adapters instead of my wds setup for a month or two now. it works like a dream. much more reliable then WDS and I am getting similar speeds.

·
Registered
119 Posts
just wanted to mention I have been using netgear powerline adapters instead of my wds setup for a month or two now. it works like a dream. much more reliable then WDS and I am getting similar speeds.
Interesting. Powerline products have traditionally been very problematic. They've suffered from several nagging problems, like not being usable w/ a UPS or line conditioner (not uncommon w/ HTPC), can't cross circuits (most ppl have several), and overall poor performance (1mbps or less).

It seems manufacturers are always trying to revamp their products and solve these problems, so I'm not sure what the state of this technology is today. But if you find this working for you, that's great news. If you have any details, such as specific products, your config (using a UPS?), etc., that would be interesting to know.

·
Seems Very Friendly
13,289 Posts
Interesting. Powerline products have traditionally been very problematic. They've suffered from several nagging problems, like not being usable w/ a UPS or line conditioner (not uncommon w/ HTPC), can't cross circuits (most ppl have several), and overall poor performance (1mbps or less).

It seems manufacturers are always trying to revamp their products and solve these problems, so I'm not sure what the state of this technology is today. But if you find this working for you, that's great news. If you have any details, such as specific products, your config (using a UPS?), etc., that would be interesting to know.
I am getting about 30Mbps using the Netgear products. They are plugged directly into the wall not through a power strip, which isn't really an issue since you can still plug your equipment into a ups or power strip. the ones I am using have a built in switch so cabling is ultra simple. It definitely seems the latest gen of these products have come a long way.

·
User title defunct
9,158 Posts
Rebenchmarked my two-floors-separated Belkin 7230-4s - connected to two WinXp PCs, both directions benched between 19-22 MbPS. I'm happy. And have that spare Belkin in the drawer for when (if?) one of these fail.

Powerline Ethernet sounds interesting, but the investment isn't worth it to me with a working, stable 20+ MbPS (Medium & High at RealTime) setup. Going on what - almost 2 years, now? Maybe when I buy a second HDTV and the inevitable second HiDef TiVo to accompany my S3 ;)

·
Extreme Tech Weenie
155 Posts
I bought two of the Belkin 7230-4's quite a while ago when the price was right (maybe $12 after rebate) but hadn't gotten around to using them. This week I did, but not for TiVo (yet). I needed to get my son's PC upstairs on the network without a wire running up the stairs - *he* didn't see a problem with that but I didn't like it. So I set one up as an AP (chained off my LinkSys router) and the other as a client. Seems to work well.

Unfortunately the TiVo I'd like to wire to this is at the other end of the second story. I can probably run a cable under the carpet or up through the attic. Or get another Belkin, but it sounds like these are hard to find now. Or, buy the TiVo 11g adapter....

I wanted to voice my thanks for those who pointed out this capability - it does come in handy.

·
User title defunct
9,158 Posts
Yay! You're living up to that username ;)

I have a new N router, for my new Lenovo laptop, and the staggering speeds (60mbps sustained 2-3 floors up) have me intrigued ... how long until a non-compliant-802.11N router with WDS capability comes up on clearance sale? Tempting thought! The MIMO would make it way better than the Belkin setup - although I doubt it'd be more stable (going on 2-3 months without reboots on average, 6-7 total devices connected to 3 'remote' Belkins - yes I pulled in the 'spare' too)

601 - 606 of 606 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.