TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you folks know you can get real time transfers in best quality. I just setup two TiVo 2 80Hr with two of the Linksys USB200M USB 2.0 10/100 Network Adapters, each hooked to a Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter (works just like the WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge but cost less and in a different case for the gaming market). Routed by a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router. The high gain antenna on the WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter get a much better signal than the WUSB11. I get 100% on singal and link with this setup with both TiVo's 75+ feet from the router (one up stairs one down stairs). I now have a 54G network the TiVo's USB port is now the bottle neck. I can now watch in real time the transfer of best quality video. Watching a two hour movie in best quality is no problem. And the Med. quality transfers are three to four time as fast.

I hope this helps some of you out.

Jim :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The antenna is on the unit and about 6-7 inchs long. The WGA54G is a transceiver so a higher gain antenna is going to improve the transmit as well as the receive. In other words it talks louder and hears better. You can see it on the linksys web site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The antennas, are omni-directional

With this type of setup TiVo supports the wireless G. Using the USB200M Network Adapters TiVo thinks it is hard wired to a 100Mb network but the hard wire is really two WGA54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridges that talk at 54Mbs not as fast as the 100Mb hard wire but faster than the TiVo's USB 1.1 port (12Mbs max). Wireless B is 11Mbs but for most 5-6 Mbs were wireless G is 54Mbs most will see 22-25 Mbs with transfer errors or interference you can see why having this type of wireless network is so good and if TiVo get a USB 2.0 Driver some day your all set, it will then tranfer 4-5x faster than real time in best.

In the video transfer world network speed is the key. As long as you can transfer data faster than Tivo you won't get data drop outs. The TiVo USB 1.1 port is just enught to play best quality in real time. But the network has to keep up, and wirless B can't keep up nor can a 10Mbs hard wire network. You need wireless G or 100Mbs hard wire. At this time with USB1.1 (12Mbs) wireless G or 100Mbs hard wire work just the same but if USB 2.0 (400Mbs) drivers come out 100Mbs will be 46+Mbs faster than G.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The gain that you will get is not only in better transfer rates but in much better singal and link strength.The WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter get a much better signal and link strength than the WUSB11, I have used and tested both, and can tell you that I can pick up three other wireless B networks in my neighborhood with the WGA54G. Plus even if you only get 20Mbs do to transfer errors, interference or bad signal and link strength it is still faster than the wireless B network. This is important if you want to transfer and play in Best quality in real time. Or you don't want to slow down your wireless G network. Forget the USB 1.1 as long as you can transfer data faster than Tivo you won't get data drop outs and wirless B can't keep up were a wireless G network can.

This is not over kill I can watch a little faster than real time the transfer of best quality video. I just select a movie from the now playing on the other tivo hit play now and start watching the movie there is no waiting and after about 10 or 15 min. I can start to pass through the commercials. This is like the performance of a hardwired network. I don't know of anyone that can do this with wireless B. Like I said before if TiVo get us USB 2.0 drivers I'll be setup I will then tranfer 4-5x faster than real time in best quality.

And don't forget you need no drivers from TiVo for this wireless setup you can change firmware, routers or whatever you need and TiVo just thinks it's hook to a hardwired network.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You not getting the point. With your wireless B network at 100% you still can't get real time transfers in best quality or high quality as far as that gos. Wireless B is just to slow and a signal amplifier/booster won't get you there either. Plus when TiVo gets us USB 2.0 drivers. The ones that build on a B network well be left in the dust.

This post was for those that wanted a wireless G network But are still waiting on TiVo for drivers.

When I say that you need no drivers from TiVo for this wireless setup I'm talking about the wireless side TiVo has the drivers for the USB200M they just need to update the chipset driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
TiVo has the drivers for the USB 1.1 the chipset on the mother board, but the chipset on newer TiVos 2's have a chipsets that support USB 2.0. So TiVo just need to update the chipset driver so that it uses the USB 2.0 standard. And the USB200M is USB 2.0 and backwards compatible with USB 1.1. If TiVo get us the new driver you will get a free network upgrade that will transfer 4-5x faster so that a 1 hour best quality movie will transfer in 15-20 min.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
When you configure the game adapters set one at 192.168.1.250 and the other at 192.168.1.249. make sure that the the switch on the back is set for infrastructure. If you have the router set to be the DHCP server make sure that the game adapters and the TiVos and set to Obtain IP address automatically. If you don't use the DHCP feature you must set the IP the subnet the gateway (which is the IP of the router) and the DSN on the game adap. and the TiVos. Also make sure that the SSID is the same on the router the game adap. and TiVo.

If you can I would use the DHCP sever feature and set the router the game adap. the TiVos and your computers to Obtain IP address automatically. Just make sure the router and adapters are set to the same SSID and all are set for infrastructure mode.

hope this helps

Jim :^)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Originally posted by coldtoes
Actually it's copied, not moved, but I think that's what you meant. I have no idea if the engineers made that choice because of the insufficient bandwidth, but, as Kermit pointed out above, you will definitely get better speeds over a wired network. So you have to balance home aesthetics with TiVo performance. Personally, I've adapted to the limited throughput, but I'm slowly upgrading my network to 802.11g (and wired portions to 100bT) so that I'll be ready when TiVo enables the USB 2.0 port and 802.11g support.
With the set up we are talking about you will not get better speed with a wired network over this wireless network. Both will work the same until we get the USB 2.0 drivers then the wired network will be faster. And the TiVo is coping not moving but with are setup it will copy faster than real time so you can watch in real time use the few. and rev. pause and finsh watching latter. After you are done TiVo will ask if you want to delete the movie or not.

As to bridging two or more routers that might be possable I have not tried it but I have bridge them in the past with pc's and had good luck. But for me and some others that would mean that I would need three wireless G routers. And as far as I have found is that if you are in bridge mode you can't use the access point mode not sure thought. Give it a try and let us know.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
joeyca,

For both of your questions you have to be pluged in to a computer I use a laptop for this. You can then get your signal strength and use the web utility. Make sure you have different IP addresses on all your equipment. If your setup is right you should see a big difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
First you have to plug the game adapters in to a computer I use a laptop for this. You can use the confi utility or the web one. When you configure the game adapters set one at 192.168.1.250 and the other at 192.168.1.249. make sure that the the switch on the back is set for infrastructure. If you have the router set to be the DHCP server make sure that the game adapters and the TiVos are set to Obtain IP address automatically. Also make sure that the SSID is the same on the router the game adap. and TiVo. Just plug the USB 200M in TiVo already has the drivers for it. Plug in the USB 200Ms in hookup the router setup the router. Go to the TiVo setup and switch from phone line to network and set to Obtain IP address automatically. restart the TiVo's and enjoy. This
does not that erase any recordings.

hope this helps

Jim :^)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
jshore

All most plug and play, but you well need to configure the game adapters by hooking them up to a computer first. I'm not sure if there is a config program for the Mac. If not it's a one time setup you must have access to a pc.

Series 2 TiVo's with usb 2.0 have a ser.# that starts with a 2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
jshore,

Sounds like you might of not had it all setup right. Forget the USB 1.1 or 2.0 for right now, wireless "B" 11mbs is really only 4-5mbs and "G" 54mbs is 22-25mbs, the usb is 12mbs. So if you are setup right you should see a huge speed gain. I've setup a few of these so far and all have made a big diffrence. Try to transfer a 1 hour best quality movie it take me 45-48 min. It use to take 5-6 hours with the "B" setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Bobbaxter,

I had the same thing happen to me two times. The first time I reset every thing the next time I restarted just the TiVo. I have not had one problem sence. You might be getting interferance from a cordless or micowave. I switch out my cordless phones to the 54gig one and took care of that problem. I use to not be able to use my laptop and phone at the same time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Bobbaxter,

You could try channel 11. I use mix mode. For a static IP uncheck obtain IP addresses automatically. Use 192.168.1.1 for the router ,use 192.168.1.249 and 192.168.1.250 for the game adapters, use 192.168.1.25 and 192.168.1.30 for the TiVo's and 192.168.1.5 for your computer. Use the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.1.1 on all. Make sure the SSID are all the same use ("linksys
" or make onr up). Also and you usng WEP Encryption if so try turnning it off and see if that helps. If it dose try a diffrent key and bit (64 or 128bit).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
:eek: Wow I have not been around for a long time. And I come back to see whats up here and find that this post is still active and helping. I can't believe that TiVo has not got up to speed on the wireless 'G'. I can report that my network is still going strong. I did add a high gain antenna and this did help out, much more solid.

Good to see this is still helping out :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Well it's been some time sense I,ve been on this post. I do have some good news I just saved a bunch of money by switching to ****. But I did switch out my wireless game adapters to the Linksys WET54GS5 Bridge. What a big differance much more stable and faster transfer speeds. 1 hour shows transfer is less than 30 mins in best quality. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.