TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cat God
17,422 Posts
I have to agree with vlxjim. The best wireless speeds I've seen with my 802.11b network is around 4 mbps (and that's with one wire link and one wireless link). Even with the artificial 12 mbps USB1.1 cap, its still 3 times faster than using 802.11b.

There is a cost/performance issue though. Is getting around 3 times the speed worth paying an extra
2 x $90 + 2 x $27 - 2 x $$40 = $154 more than using a wireless B network. That's for 2 TiVo's. It would be more if you have more TiVos.

If you could use the Linksys WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Adapter (which you can't) it would be less of an issue since it would only be $20 more.

·
Cat God
17,422 Posts
Originally posted by vlxjim
As to bridging two or more routers that might be possable I have not tried it but I have bridge them in the past with pc's and had good luck. But for me and some others that would mean that I would need three wireless G routers. And as far as I have found is that if you are in bridge mode you can't use the access point mode not sure thought. Give it a try and let us know.
There was new firmware released for the WRT54G (2.02.2) and the WAP54G (2.06) the other day which implements WDS bridging. This allows both devices to act as both an AP and a bridge simultaneously. A more detailed explanation can be found here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.