TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Call me Bob
3,564 Posts
As far as I know, the USB ports on the DirecTivo boxes are disabled.

·
Call me Bob
3,564 Posts
802.11g would rarely reach the theoretical maximum of 54Mb/sec

For one, if there's an access point involved and you're going wireless to wireless you lose half your throughput right off the bat.

802.11g also slows down the farther away you are.

The same issues also occur with 802.11b.

The normal throughput of an 802.11b network ends up being between 2Mbs and 5.5Mbs for a wireless to wireless connection. With 802.11g I would imagine that the best you'll see in normal situations is somewhere around 20-25Mbs.

This is still faster than USB 1.1's limit of 12Mbs but it's not as far off as you might think by just looking at the numbers.

·
Call me Bob
3,564 Posts
The SSID of the Airport is the "Wireless Network Name" that's displayed in the Airport Admin Utility. Note that the normal IP address range for an Airport is 10.0.1.xxx (where xxx is a value from 1 to 254). In which case, I would think you need to use 10.0.1.250 and 249 addresses for the game adapters instead of the 192.168.1.xxx addresses (or you could change the IP address range for the Base Station)

·
Call me Bob
3,564 Posts
There is no real difference in the addressing. I believe there are four address ranges that are used for internal networks and are never used for public IP addresses. 10.0.xxx.xxx and 192.168.xxx.xxx are two of them. I believe another one begins with 169 which usually gets used for "self-assigned" IP addresses (when a network card can't find a DHCP server).

I use the older LinkSys WET11 802.11b bridge with my Airport Base Station for the game systems (XBOX, PS2, and GameCube). I changed WET11 to work on the 10.0.1.xxx range.

I haven't used the LinkSys game adapters, but I would imagine they should be able to work.

Some of what I found with the WET11 bridge from LinkSys may also apply to the game adapters.

With the WET11, I was able to configure it completely from the Mac also. Since they come from LinkSys with the IP address preset to 192.168.1.225, it wasn't possible for me to connect to it from the Mac which was on the 10.0.1.xxx network. I disconnected the Mac from the network, connected it directly to the WET11, and manually set the Mac's IP address to 192.168.1.5 (setting the router/gateway IP address to 192.168.1.1). I could then get to the LinkSys config screen by going to 192.168.1.225.

Make sure you change your Mac settings back to the way they were when you re-connect to the network.

·
Call me Bob
3,564 Posts
Originally posted by msadesign
Bob,

I've been following your posts and hoping that someone else would ask you to do what I need: a sense of what needs to be installed on a Mac, and in what order.

I'm hoping you'll be as complete as you have been on other questions! like, what files, etc.

Any chance?

Thanks.

Michael Spencer
Michael,
What are you trying to do? Use the 802.11g game adapters (or a wireless "bridge")? I've only done something similar in the past with the older LinkSys WET11 802.11b wireless bridge. There is nothing that needs to be "installed" on the Mac at all. The WET11 was configured completely by using the web interface that's built into it. I've not tried doing any of the 802.11g work using game adapters (or a 802.11g wireless bridge).

It important to know, that nothing will work any faster than the slowest component. So if you have 802.11g bridges but your wireless access point/router is only 802.11b, you won't be able to go any faster than the slowest component -- in this case, it's the 802.11b only wireless access point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.