TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but my mild retardation weakens my comprehension skill sets... I have an old TiVo and am getting a new HD TiVo - is there an idiot's guide or thread that explains "the how-to" on doing this? It's my first post and am amazed at the information on this forum... Thanks in advance...

·
Dumb Blond
45,277 Posts
It's not entirely clear what you want to do. Is it transfer your existing recordings from an unspecified old TiVo to the HD TiVo (which is a DirecTV model)? The short answer is that you can't in any obvious way, other than the old standby of audio/video cables, "Save to VCR" and a manual recording.

If it's something else, please elaborate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stevel said:
It's not entirely clear what you want to do. Is it transfer your existing recordings from an unspecified old TiVo to the HD TiVo (which is a DirecTV model)? The short answer is that you can't in any obvious way, other than the old standby of audio/video cables, "Save to VCR" and a manual recording.

If it's something else, please elaborate.
Nope. It's pretty simple (I would assume)(If I knew how)... I want to transfer the contents of my old Hughes SD-DVR40 to the new HR10-250... Thank you for your reply!

·
Mentally Hilarious
2,646 Posts
em-de-em said:
Nope. It's pretty simple (I would assume)(If I knew how)... I want to transfer the contents of my old Hughes SD-DVR40 to the new HR10-250... Thank you for your reply!
There's not an easy way to do this directly.
Hooking the old recorder to a VCR, DVD recorder, or PC and transfering the content you want to keep is probably your best option.

·
Dumb Blond
45,277 Posts
This can be done only if both units are modified to disable encryption and network-enabled. I did so between my DSR704 and HR10-250. But the path to this is complex and not discussed in this forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping there was an easier way. I just didn't want to have to ditch the saved movies, et al... Thanks again... Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts