TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Tivo files referred to quite often in various places on the web as .ty files. All the files I have from TivoToGo are .tivo files. What's the difference and why are my files .tivo files and not .ty files? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· No intent to annoy
1,266 Posts
backpages said:
I see Tivo files referred to quite often in various places on the web as .ty files. All the files I have from TivoToGo are .tivo files. What's the difference and why are my files .tivo files and not .ty files?
.tivo files are shows from the Tivo accomplished by methods not involving hacking the Tivo.

.ty files are shows from the Tivo accomplished by methods involving hacking the Tivo.

.ty files have been around for a few years, long pre-dating .tivo files and there is more discussion and a larger range of options for viewing the files. There is essentially no differerence in quality between the files. .tivo files are usually "cleaner" than .ty files, which can have usually imperceptible defects that sometimes (rarely) cause occasional brief bursts of pixellation or can interfere with audio sync when editing or otherwise processing the files.

.ty files are discussed here only in terms of inserting them into the Tivo, via rc3105's mfs_ftp_insert (though I think the relevant posts are too old to be found any more). Discussing how to get them out of the Tivo (e.g. via the full mfs_ftp, tivoserver, tytools, etc.) is not allowed here, though once the Tivo/DTV contract expires I expect there will be no reason to forbid discussion of doing so on the DirecTV Tivos.

· No intent to annoy
1,266 Posts
classicsat said:
The same as with UTV DVRs.

And likely, extraction talk, even from D-TiVos will still be forbidden here.
I don't disagree; I don't even care. But I am curious as to why this might be so. Do you have any resaon for saying that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.