TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are leasing an HR10-250 and it fails,D* will send you a new HR20 and(from what I understand) start the 2 year commitment over again.If you have the Protection Plan,the 2-Year commit does NOT restart.Is that all correct?

What if you own the receiver?How does a replacement work?You buy a new one and call to authorize it?New commit?......or.......They send you a new one and restart the 2-year?Costs?
Is the Protection Plan worth the $$ to prevent the restarts of the commit?

Thanks to anyone for a full expanation of these policies!

·
Big Perm
478 Posts
I'm not sure about the protection plan, but what I have understood is basically whenever you activate a new receiver (unless you beg, plead and possibly steal for them) they will almost always enact a new 2 year commitment regardless of it being owned or leased. I bought a used HR10 at one point and got them to activate it without a new 2 year commitment, but I was lucky.

I have definitely read stories of people who have had their leased receivers replaced under the protection plan and it was a new 2 year commitment when they activated it. I have read of other people finding ways to avoid the commitment. I think it's all luck of the CSR draw.

·
My Custom User Title
20,599 Posts
Is the 2 year commitment for the monthly service of the DVR only? If, for some reason, you didn't want Directv anymore, would you only have to pay them $5 a month for your 2 year commitment, or would it be more based on programming?

·
Big Perm
478 Posts
Yeah I forget what the exact figure is but I think if you cancel your subscription before your commitment ends it is something like $13/mo for the remaining months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts