TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the inception of the Oprah Winfrey Network TiVo has not recognized it. FIOS offers it and I can watch it but TiVo will not display the shows offered and will not record anything unless I am seated in front of it and hit the record button. It simply displays everything on that FIOS Chanel as "To Be Announced".

WHY????

I've tried calling TiVo to ask but they refuse to answer even the simplest question without interrogating me first so I hang up on them every time. (Stop asking me for so much personal information TiVo! Just answer MY question!) I'm thinking when this DVR goes I'll look into the one offered by FIOS unless TiVo get's it's act together.

Anyway, anyone know what the deal is between TiVo and the OWN channel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Since the inception of the Oprah Winfrey Network TiVo has not recognized it. FIOS offers it and I can watch it but TiVo will not display the shows offered and will not record anything unless I am seated in front of it and hit the record button. It simply displays everything on that FIOS Chanel as "To Be Announced".

WHY????

I've tried calling TiVo to ask but they refuse to answer even the simplest question without interrogating me first so I hang up on them every time. (Stop asking me for so much personal information TiVo! Just answer MY question!) I'm thinking when this DVR goes I'll look into the one offered by FIOS unless TiVo get's it's act together.

Thanks.
It seems to work on FIOS in NJ. It has a normal program schedule.

·
Just the facts ma'am
11,107 Posts
:up:

I personally just do not see any value in that channel. It is will just be another excuse to our ever increasing cable bills.
That can be said about virtually every cable channel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to work on FIOS in NJ. It has a normal program schedule.
Really? Here on Long Island the OWN channel is 161. It works fine on FIOS but TiVo doesn't display any of it's shows and I happen to know someone who has a show on that network that I'd like to be watching but I can't because TiVo isn't doing it's job.

So you're saying you can go to whatever channel OWN is on in your area and schedule a show using TiVo on that channel?

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,486 Posts
Really? Here on Long Island the OWN channel is 161. It works fine on FIOS but TiVo doesn't display any of it's shows and I happen to know someone who has a show on that network that I'd like to be watching but I can't because TiVo isn't doing it's job.

So you're saying you can go to whatever channel OWN is on in your area and schedule a show using TiVo on that channel?
Have you even TRIED to set up a MANUAL recording on that channel number?

Plus, have you noted the link provided for you above? The link for reporting a channel lineup problem?

TiVo isn't magic. They get the channel lineups for your area from Tribune. If Tribune has fallen down on the job (or FiOS failed to notify them), then TiVo has no way of knowing there's a new channel on your lineup.

TELL THEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you even TRIED to set up a MANUAL recording on that channel number?

Plus, have you noted the link provided for you above? The link for reporting a channel lineup problem?

TiVo isn't magic. They get the channel lineups for your area from Tribune. If Tribune has fallen down on the job (or FiOS failed to notify them), then TiVo has no way of knowing there's a new channel on your lineup.

TELL THEM.
You end up corresponding with people who think you are as lame and stupid as they are.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will attempt to answer your specific question.

There is no issue between Tivo and OWN. Most people made the transition from Discovery Health to OWN with no issues, including those with FIOS in other areas. The issue, most likely, is between your local FIOS franchise and Tribune Media Services. It's possible your franchise forgot to send an update or equally possible that Tribune forgot to apply the update. To resolve this you need to fill out the line-up form referenced earlier in the thread or go to http://www.zap2it.com, a website owed by Tribune, and fill out the lineup form there so that OWN info gets added for your area. Personally I suggest doing both.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
161 works fine on Long Island FiOS, rerun guided setup if you have not already.

Choose Verizon FiOS Queens which is what I use on all my boxes in my sig.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I will attempt to answer your specific question.

There is no issue between Tivo and OWN. Most people made the transition from Discovery Health to OWN with no issues, including those with FIOS in other areas. The issue, most likely, is between your local FIOS franchise and Tribune Media Services. It's possible your franchise forgot to send an update or equally possible that Tribune forgot to apply the update. To resolve this you need to fill out the line-up form referenced earlier in the thread or go to http://www.zap2it.com, a website owed by Tribune, and fill out the lineup form there so that OWN info gets added for your area. Personally I suggest doing both.

Cheers
Don't you just love it when you have to do for someone what they are actually getting paid to do for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts

WHY????

Thanks.
I had the same issue with THIS programming in Los Angeles after KTLA switch the digital channel it was on. I just reported it to TIVO via their website and they got it resolved. It took a few weeks, but they fixed it. I suspect that they're asking you questions so that they can narrow down where and who to send your issue to. If you don't want to be asked all those questions, just fill out the info on their web page and no worries.

·
Registered
522 Posts

WHY????

Thanks.
And that's a bad reason why?
Tivo 1 : OWN 0

·
Smartypants
2,611 Posts
Don't you just love it when you have to do for someone what they are actually getting paid to do for you?
Not trying to defend Tivo and/or Tribune, but with how many different systems and how many different markets, even a 99.9% accuracy is gonna leave you with a few errors. Yes it sucks when the error is affecting you, but at least they give you a mechanism to report the error easily and the issue is usually fixed in one or two at the most reporting cycles. Its not like it is a huge widespread problem, like nobody, anywhere has any data for ABC. Its some people in one market doesn't have information on a new channel that didn't exist 3 months ago.

As far as the OP's complaints about Tivo asking for some information, I don't know what all they were asking for but, especially with a channel lineup issue, they have know exactly where your tivo is located to determine what exact market and what exact provider has incorrect information, and they need to be able to identify you so that they can have a record of the call to help determine if the problem is a widespread issue or just something with your system, and you are not just calling 10 times a day to report that OWN isn't listed on your lineup and complaining because it hasn't been fixed yet. Hanging up doesn't get the problem fixed.

·
Hubcaps r in fashion
7,486 Posts
You end up corresponding with people who think you are as lame and stupid as they are.
If that's your attitude, then why expect us to help you?

You've been told what the steps are in cases like this, and yet you continue to grouse.

If FiOS or Tribune have fallen down on the job, TiVo has no way of knowing unless someone tells them.

That's what the online notification page is for.

When Grey Griffin told you the very same thing two of us already had, you complained about TiVo having to be told to do what they've been paid to do.

Do you realize what TiVo would have to do to have each and every locality constantly checked for lineup changes/errors?

Do you want your bill for TiVo Service (or the current rate for LIFETIME) to increase by another 50%?

They pay Tribune to keep lineups current. If Tribune fails to do that, TiVo can take them to task, but that's the way it works. To add an additional lineup checking system to the mix only means a higher price for you.

Besides, since you've three times been told how to handle the situation and are still grumbling, it sounds like you're more interested in doing that than in getting the probem fixed.

We've helped you. Accept the help and take needed steps!

·
Smartypants
2,611 Posts
Is it possible that logical thinking is inconsistent with being an Oprah fan? Don't know.....just askin' :p
Don't know if its logical thinking or not but, i guess they think that tivo is only servicing them. its all me, me, me, not gee, tivo guides do cover a lot of different areas, and cable systems, I wonder how they get all that information out to all those devices and keep them up to date and be absolutely perfect, in every area?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.