TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
No. Just because the FCC doesn’t mandate support doesn’t mean that a massive telecommunication company ceases support by shrugging their shoulders and telling customers “oops sorry”.

If your channels were no longer available via cable card due to whatever reason they would have a published verifiable change of service agreement to quote to you which you would have previously been informed of.
I'm on Cablevision. In this case, they get close to "oops sorry". They are moving very heavily to switched digital video. They are cherry picking which channels to you can receive without a tuning adapter. The goal is to set it up so you don't need a tuning adapter unless you want the standard definition feed of ESPN. So ESPN/ESPN2 are on 4 channels in the system SD/35, 36, HD/735, 736. You'd need a tuning adapter to get SD/35, 36. The net-net of the move is that premium channel customers are loosing all of the west coast feeds of their channels. "Oops, Sorry" is not a direct quote from the installer that I talked to but it's pretty close.

As far as the original poster goes, he should be able to receive ESPN2: 735 and ESPN: 736 without the tuning adapter assuming he's near me. Cablevision's territory is large and quite heterogeneous from an equipment perspective. I'm in New Haven County, CT. We use completely different cable cards then they do in either Long Island, Brooklyn, or Northern New Jersey. For example, tuning adapters are required in Long Island. I guess because they couldn't do the SDV split as cleanly along High Def / Standard Def lines.

-- Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Because of the way Cablevision is setup, the OP may find better information in the Optimum section of the: DSLReports Home : Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums forums - direct link: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/ool This tuning adapter problem has been ongoing for quite some time. People in different regions are told different things. Again, here in New Haven County, CT, I've been lucky that they haven't really taken away any programming, they've just made things more a lot more inconvenient. They've also told me that they cannot send me a tuning adapter and one tuning adapter that I did get was not proper authorized for my account so it was a complete waste of two days for me and the Altice techs that showed up at my house to complete the install. As I said above. I'm pretty certain that the situation in other regions is different. For example. my tech up here had never even seen a tuning adapter and if the box didn't have optimum's branding on it, he wouldn't have believed that he was supposed to support it.

-- Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
that's the problem it's not cheaper to stream, not anything like hulu live or youtube tv any way. My provider charges $90 a month for 200/30 high speed internet (I have my own router and modem so no rental charges), I'm paying $114 for internet and 275 channel of cable (value package) so the cable portion is only $24 monthly. Hulu live and youtube tv are both $65+. Sling is like $35-40 for there cheapest package. My cost of a cable box and cloud based dvr will be offset by not paying tivo $16.21 monthly and the $3 monthly charge for the cable card. Tivo had a good 7 year run with me, and i wish them well but as this past month has shown, when something goes wrong, it's un uphill battle, especially when I have a cable provider that knows jack squat about the tech and doesn't want to support it, as evidenced by 4 different services calls with zero resolution. And with the cable service I can download their app to my apple tvs or IOS devices to watch it anywhere, no need for other boxes. On the plus side I will have a Tivo bolt and 2 minis for sale cheap.
I'm on Altice/Optimum in New Haven County, CT. Roughly where are you?

My math is a little different because I bought an all-in bolt a long time ago. So my cost for TiVo is the $2.00 it costs to have the cable card. A box costs $11.00. But you are 100% correct about the cost of streaming. I cut it by having a MythTV feed by Attic mounted Antenna attached to HDHomerun devices. I can stream the MythTV to any AppleTV in either my house or my apartment. By far the biggest cost for streaming is live sports. Football broadcasts on the networks so that's easy. Baseball and Auto racing are only on Cable.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
I'm on Cablevision. In this case, they get close to "oops sorry". They are moving very heavily to switched digital video. They are cherry picking which channels to you can receive without a tuning adapter. The goal is to set it up so you don't need a tuning adapter unless you want the standard definition feed of ESPN. So ESPN/ESPN2 are on 4 channels in the system SD/35, 36, HD/735, 736. You'd need a tuning adapter to get SD/35, 36. The net-net of the move is that premium channel customers are loosing all of the west coast feeds of their channels. "Oops, Sorry" is not a direct quote from the installer that I talked to but it's pretty close.

As far as the original poster goes, he should be able to receive ESPN2: 735 and ESPN: 736 without the tuning adapter assuming he's near me. Cablevision's territory is large and quite heterogeneous from an equipment perspective. I'm in New Haven County, CT. We use completely different cable cards then they do in either Long Island, Brooklyn, or Northern New Jersey. For example, tuning adapters are required in Long Island. I guess because they couldn't do the SDV split as cleanly along High Def / Standard Def lines.

-- Chris
Requiring a tuning adapter is nowhere near stopping to support a channel on CC since every cable company will provide the needed TA for free.

They’re buggy things and often difficult to get provisioned properly on your account but if you are persistent they should work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Requiring a tuning adapter is nowhere near stopping to support a channel on CC since every cable company will provide the needed TA for free.

They’re buggy things and often difficult to get provisioned properly on your account but if you are persistent they should work.
Perhaps the OP was a little strident in his argument. However his experience and mine shared the following aspects:

• Provisioning CableCards has become nearly impossible since only a handful of the call in or webchat techs even know what they are. I pulled a CC out of my HD 3 TiVO and needed it provisioned to work with a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Prime I found on eBay. I reached a total of 5 techs, all of whom wrote my order as fixed for the customer. 3 Didn't know what a CC was at all and made no change. 1 Got the card partially provisioned after an hour. The fifth and last knew what a cable card was and correctly provisioned it on my account.
  • It took me 2.5 years of trying to get a tuning adapter. Cablevision announced the move to SDV, and told everyone with CC that they needed a tuning adapter but non of he walk in centers had them in stock. Further, the only way to determine if the stock level was to drive to the walk-in and wait through the line of people who mostly hadn't paid their bill and needed 10 minutes of account rep time each to complain about the situation.
  • When I got the tuning adapter, it wasn't authorized for my account
  • They sent two technicians to my house to "fix" the tuning adapter. Neither of these persons knew what it was and first tried to charge me $80.00 for the visit even through it was all their equipment that was broken. He had never seen a tuning adapter and believed that it was my personal equipment.
  • I've never received clear confirmation that their switch to SDV is going to leave a core of High Def channels available to CC subscribers without the need for a tuning adapter. Right now it looks like their best effort.
Looking at the OP's problem, I'd bet that his CC is improperly provisioned and that's why he's not receiving ESPN. Regardless, it's his choice. Altice has not completely dropped support for CableCards. But they have watered down the support so much that it's probably no longer worth fighting to get them setup correctly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Perhaps the OP was a little strident in his argument. However his experience and mine shared the following aspects:

• Provisioning CableCards has become nearly impossible since only a handful of the call in or webchat techs even know what they are. I pulled a CC out of my HD 3 TiVO and needed it provisioned to work with a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Prime I found on eBay. I reached a total of 5 techs, all of whom wrote my order as fixed for the customer. 3 Didn't know what a CC was at all and made no change. 1 Got the card partially provisioned after an hour. The fifth and last knew what a cable card was and correctly provisioned it on my account.
  • It took me 2.5 years of trying to get a tuning adapter. Cablevision announced the move to SDV, and told everyone with CC that they needed a tuning adapter but non of he walk in centers had them in stock. Further, the only way to determine if the stock level was to drive to the walk-in and wait through the line of people who mostly hadn't paid their bill and needed 10 minutes of account rep time each to complain about the situation.
  • When I got the tuning adapter, it wasn't authorized for my account
  • They sent two technicians to my house to "fix" the tuning adapter. Neither of these persons knew what it was and first tried to charge me $80.00 for the visit even through it was all their equipment that was broken. He had never seen a tuning adapter and believed that it was my personal equipment.
  • I've never received clear confirmation that their switch to SDV is going to leave a core of High Def channels available to CC subscribers without the need for a tuning adapter. Right now it looks like their best effort.
Looking at the OP's problem, I'd bet that his CC is improperly provisioned and that's why he's not receiving ESPN. Regardless, it's his choice. Altice has not completely dropped support for CableCards. But they have watered down the support so much that it's probably no longer worth fighting to get them setup correctly.
Exactly correct with your last assumption. This problem started about a month ago I noticed I no longer had ESPN ESPN2 or USA Netwerk. All of the simple steps were completed restarting the box checking connections etc. the first technician showed up without even having another cable card, useless tech visit number one. The following week a second text showed up with a cable card but have no idea how to install it or do anything with it. It was him that mentioned I might need a tuning adapter but he did not have any on the vehicle. My local walk-in optimum store is more than an hour drive up from my house . They would not mail me a tuning adapter or a second cable card. I took the trip to the store last Saturday and got a twinning adapter and a second cable card. The second cable card was installed and did not resolve the issue still zero digital signal on ESPN ESPN2 and USA and at that point I kept getting messages that I was not authorized to get channels that I was getting with the previous cable card such as CNN, but other channels were coming out perfectly so I knew the cable card was installed correctly and registered to my account. At that point the tuning adapter was tried but that tuning adapter would not even complete its cycle. At that point Cablevision was called again and I was told a New tuning adapter would be FedEx I’d have it Monday. It never arrived. A third technician arrived on Wednesday who had a little bit of knowledge of cable cards but without a tuning adapter that worked was unable to do anything. He did notice that on my account I was being charged for a cable box which I have not had in my house for seven years. He also noticed that the frequency that ESPN is broadcast on in my area was not being received in my house. After he left I called Cablevision yet again and was told that the tuning adapter that was supposed to be sent by FedEx was not sent and I was being sent a cable box. That is the cable box that he saw on my bill. A couple hours after he left on Wednesday I received a small box the size of a cell phone which was indeed a small cable box. Technician number three returned to my house on Thursday just in case I did get the tuning adapter which I did not . At that point I was so frustrated I simply had him install a Samsung cable box. TiVo had a good run with me for seven years but with a cable company like Cablevision Optimum who certainly don’t want to support this technology anymore and very few of their employers even know what a cable card or twinning adapter is it was a constant uphill battle . The cost of the TiVo monthly service and the cable card was about $20 a month for that same cost I can have the Samsung cable box and cloud-based DVR so that is what I’m doing. I’m just tired of not getting channels that I’m paying for and I knew it would be an ongoing struggle to get the TiVo working back the way it should .

21 - 26 of 26 Posts