TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
There’s no such thing as removing channels from cable card devices.

I suspect a few possible misinterpretations when you spoke to the rep.

- as stated above if Optimim moved those channels to IPTV delivery then CC could not receive them. But I do not believe Optimum had moved any channels exclusively to IPTV. And no linear cable company has yet to move major channels like the ones you mention

- the rep could have meant those channels are now using SDV which require the tuning adapter. But that doesn’t mean they’re not being decided by the cards too. It would be unusual for those major channels to use SDV however.

- the rep was just wrong/lying

I’d ask WHY the channels are no longer available via cable card. If they don’t have an answer such as “those channels are being delivered via IPTV exclusively now” then they’re full of it.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
No. Just because the FCC doesn’t mandate support doesn’t mean that a massive telecommunication company ceases support by shrugging their shoulders and telling customers “oops sorry”.

If your channels were no longer available via cable card due to whatever reason they would have a published verifiable change of service agreement to quote to you which you would have previously been informed of.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
There sure is. Every device has a “map” of channels available to it. Including cable cards. If the are removed from map then they are removed from the CC.
This could be on purpose or an error. But is indeed possible.
But I am not saying that’s what’s going on here.
Well yes, technically possible.

But never in the history of cable cards have I ever heard of a doing that with the purpose of not offering a channel to CC subscribers.

In the real world “that channel isn’t available to CC users” is not a thing, unless talking about IPTV migration.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I'm on Cablevision. In this case, they get close to "oops sorry". They are moving very heavily to switched digital video. They are cherry picking which channels to you can receive without a tuning adapter. The goal is to set it up so you don't need a tuning adapter unless you want the standard definition feed of ESPN. So ESPN/ESPN2 are on 4 channels in the system SD/35, 36, HD/735, 736. You'd need a tuning adapter to get SD/35, 36. The net-net of the move is that premium channel customers are loosing all of the west coast feeds of their channels. "Oops, Sorry" is not a direct quote from the installer that I talked to but it's pretty close.

As far as the original poster goes, he should be able to receive ESPN2: 735 and ESPN: 736 without the tuning adapter assuming he's near me. Cablevision's territory is large and quite heterogeneous from an equipment perspective. I'm in New Haven County, CT. We use completely different cable cards then they do in either Long Island, Brooklyn, or Northern New Jersey. For example, tuning adapters are required in Long Island. I guess because they couldn't do the SDV split as cleanly along High Def / Standard Def lines.

-- Chris
Requiring a tuning adapter is nowhere near stopping to support a channel on CC since every cable company will provide the needed TA for free.

They’re buggy things and often difficult to get provisioned properly on your account but if you are persistent they should work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts