TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a tuning adapter? Some channels are missing on my TiVo bolt, I called my cable company and they said those channels were removed from the Cable card. Would I need a tuning adapter to get these back? I tried a different cable card and that did not fix the issue. I have had this TiVo bolt with the cable card combination for the last seven years and everything was fine until about a month ago when I discovered ESPN and ESPN2 as well as USA with no longer working

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who is your provider and do they use tuning adapters (switched digital video)?
Cablevision optimum is the provider. I have had this TiVo bolt and a cable card for the last seven years with no issues without using a tuning adapter. About a month ago I noticed I no longer have ESPN ESPN two or USA. After several calls a text showed up And he had no idea how to fix it and not have a cable card. A week later a second tech showed up with a cable card but had no idea how to install it or initialize it. Flash forward to today I got a cable card and a tuning adapter from my cable provider. Installed and the new cable card and had it paired. At that point I have even less channels than before including no ESPN no ESPN2 and no USA but also lost CNM. Proceeded to install the tuning adapter but it never gets past the set up. Called optimum back on the telephone and they are sending me another tuning adapter by FedEx to arrive on Monday. They did tell me that ESPN and ESPN2 have been removed from the cable card set up but are not aware if the tuning adapter will bring them back. If that happens I guess my only option would be to discontinue all of my TiVo gear and break down and get a cable box.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your card isn’t really paired. And they apparently don’t know how to activate a tuning adapter either. How did you connect it?
cable into TA then out to tivo, tuning adapter never finshes setup, they are sending new one thru fedex monday. rep to me espn/espn2 have been permanately removed from cable card devices. They are sending another tech on wednesday

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
If TA is Motorola or Arris, I would split the cable from the wall, one leg to TA, the other to Tivo. Otherwise signal loss is massive and you'll lose even more channels. Some TA's don't like Moca either, so if you're running that, put a Moca POE filter on the TA input and do the split I said above. For a TA to work, it just has to be authorized and enabled on cable company end. No reason for a tech visit other than he can probably phone the right people to get it done.

The only way a channel would be removed from "cable card" is if it moved to IPTV, in which case you'd eventually lose all channels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If TA is Motorola or Arris, I would split the cable from the wall, one leg to TA, the other to Tivo. Otherwise signal loss is massive and you'll lose even more channels. Some TA's don't like Moca either, so if you're running that, put a Moca POE filter on the TA input and do the split I said above. For a TA to work, it just has to be authorized and enabled on cable company end. No reason for a tech visit other than he can probably phone the right people to get it done.

The only way a channel would be removed from "cable card" is if it moved to IPTV, in which case you'd eventually lose all channels.
It is a Cisco tuning adapter and I hooked it up by the instructions that were included. The feed is not split as you mention the feed goes directly into the tuning adapter then out of the adapter and into the TiVo. Once the tuning adapter has completed its cycle I am then to hook the two devices together with a USB cable but the tuning adapter does not finish its cycle even though it is authorized by my cable company that is why they are sending another one through FedEx tomorrow. I I am running mocha for my two minis and I already have a filter. In terms of the channels being removed it was again confirmed today by optimum. ESPN and ESPN2 are no longer available on cable card devices. Channels removed also include Showtime STARZ and HBO . A cable technician is arriving on Wednesday hopefully he has some experience with cable cards by then I should have the new tuning adapter. Optimum has already told me that in very short while they will abandon all support for cable card systems as it is no longer required after a ruling by the FCC

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
There’s no such thing as removing channels from cable card devices.

I suspect a few possible misinterpretations when you spoke to the rep.

- as stated above if Optimim moved those channels to IPTV delivery then CC could not receive them. But I do not believe Optimum had moved any channels exclusively to IPTV. And no linear cable company has yet to move major channels like the ones you mention

- the rep could have meant those channels are now using SDV which require the tuning adapter. But that doesn’t mean they’re not being decided by the cards too. It would be unusual for those major channels to use SDV however.

- the rep was just wrong/lying

I’d ask WHY the channels are no longer available via cable card. If they don’t have an answer such as “those channels are being delivered via IPTV exclusively now” then they’re full of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I suspect a few possible misinterpretations when you spoke to the rep.

- as stated above if Optimim moved those channels to IPTV delivery then CC could not receive them. But I do not believe Optimum had moved any channels exclusively to IPTV. And no linear cable company has yet to move major channels like the ones you mention

- the rep could have meant those channels are now using SDV which require the tuning adapter. But that doesn’t mean they’re not being decided by the cards too. It would be unusual for those major channels to use SDV however.

- the rep was just wrong/lying

I’d ask WHY the channels are no longer available via cable card. If they don’t have an answer such as “those channels are being delivered via IPTV exclusively now” then they’re full of it.
I only have the information that was given to me by the cable company from multiple representatives. What started this whole fiasco is that the TiVo is not receiving any digital Signal on channel 735 and 736 which is ESPN and ESPN2. Channels on either side of it 731 744 748 etc. all have more than 90% digital signal strength ESPN and ESPN2 are receiving zero digital signal with both cable cards. Going to try a second tuning adapter when it arrives today the first Cisco tuning adapter would not even complete it’s set up. Maybe it’s optimum his way of finally getting rid of cable card customers. Because as of October 2020 the FCC declared the cable companies no longer have to support the technology

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
No. Just because the FCC doesn’t mandate support doesn’t mean that a massive telecommunication company ceases support by shrugging their shoulders and telling customers “oops sorry”.

If your channels were no longer available via cable card due to whatever reason they would have a published verifiable change of service agreement to quote to you which you would have previously been informed of.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. Just because the FCC doesn’t mandate support doesn’t mean that a massive telecommunication company ceases support by shrugging their shoulders and telling customers “oops sorry”.

If your channels were no longer available via cable card due to whatever reason they would have a published verifiable change of service agreement to quote to you which you would have previously been informed of.
they very well may have. My bill is auto pay and I never read the emails from optimum because 90% of the time it’s an ad for some new service. Tucked away on the terms of service could’ve very well been some thing that said they were changing channels or deleting them. Hopefully I will have more information on Wednesday when they send a technician that is supposed to know about TiVo devices and cable cards

·
Registered
4 Posts
There sure is. Every device has a “map” of channels available to it. Including cable cards. If the are removed from map then they are removed from the CC.
This could be on purpose or an error. But is indeed possible.
But I am not saying that’s what’s going on here.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
There sure is. Every device has a “map” of channels available to it. Including cable cards. If the are removed from map then they are removed from the CC.
This could be on purpose or an error. But is indeed possible.
But I am not saying that’s what’s going on here.
Well yes, technically possible.

But never in the history of cable cards have I ever heard of a doing that with the purpose of not offering a channel to CC subscribers.

In the real world “that channel isn’t available to CC users” is not a thing, unless talking about IPTV migration.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well yes, technically possible.

But never in the history of cable cards have I ever heard of a doing that with the purpose of not offering a channel to CC subscribers.

In the real world “that channel isn’t available to CC users” is not a thing, unless talking about IPTV migration.
well the saga continues. A third cable technician arrived yesterday. He did some basic work put new ends on the cables changed out a splitter etc. that work increased signal strength a bit but it was already good. I still have not received the new tuning adapter that was supposed to be FedEx so he couldn’t do much else. But after contacting his other coworkers he did find out that the frequency that ESPN is broadcast on is not even being received into my house. he is scheduled to arrive here again today. A couple hours after he left I received a FedEx package which contained a very small cell phone sized device. Apparently it is a different style tuning adapter for Altice I am in the process of installing it now. If this issue is not resolved today I am simply going to go with a Samsung cable box and dump TiVo completely. It’s getting very frustrating working with a company that doesn’t even want to support this technology anymore. The cost of the cable box is less than the cost of the TiVo monthly. And they offer a companion app that can be installed on my other AppleTV devices so I can watch my cable feed anywhere in the house

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What’s the model of this new tuning adapter?

I’ve never heard of one the size of a cell phone.

Does it have a coax and USB connection?
What’s the model of this new tuning adapter?

I’ve never heard of one the size of a cell phone.

Does it have a coax and USB connection?
Even though the paperwork included with the device clearly said it was a digital tuning adapter it was not it was actually a small cable box made by Cisco for Altice. I’m done with the frustration and not being able to watch the channels that I pay for TiVo had a good run but I have decided to dump TiVo and just get a cable box. My TiVo subscription was $16.21 a month and the cable card was three dollars a month so almost $20. For that same $20 a month I now have a Samsung cable box and DVR service through my cable company. I am able to download the Optimum app to my Apple TV streaming boxes so I can watch my Optimum service on any TV in the house . TiVo had a good run but for me it’s dead.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Yeah, that’s just a cable box, not a “tuning adapter” for cable card use. You can of course watch cable through it directly to your TV, but it doesn’t do anything for TiVo.

If I were you I’d consider dropping cable TV entirely and switching to streaming. It’s typically a good bit cheaper than cable by the time you add all the cable fees.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that’s just a cable box, not a “tuning adapter” for cable card use. You can of course watch cable through it directly to your TV, but it doesn’t do anything for TiVo.

If I were you I’d consider dropping cable TV entirely and switching to streaming. It’s typically a good bit cheaper than cable by the time you add all the cable fees.
that's the problem it's not cheaper to stream, not anything like hulu live or youtube tv any way. My provider charges $90 a month for 200/30 high speed internet (I have my own router and modem so no rental charges), I'm paying $114 for internet and 275 channel of cable (value package) so the cable portion is only $24 monthly. Hulu live and youtube tv are both $65+. Sling is like $35-40 for there cheapest package. My cost of a cable box and cloud based dvr will be offset by not paying tivo $16.21 monthly and the $3 monthly charge for the cable card. Tivo had a good 7 year run with me, and i wish them well but as this past month has shown, when something goes wrong, it's un uphill battle, especially when I have a cable provider that knows jack squat about the tech and doesn't want to support it, as evidenced by 4 different services calls with zero resolution. And with the cable service I can download their app to my apple tvs or IOS devices to watch it anywhere, no need for other boxes. On the plus side I will have a Tivo bolt and 2 minis for sale cheap.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
that's the problem it's not cheaper to stream, not anything like hulu live or youtube tv any way. My provider charges $90 a month for 200/30 high speed internet (I have my own router and modem so no rental charges), I'm paying $114 for internet and 275 channel of cable (value package) so the cable portion is only $24 monthly. Hulu live and youtube tv are both $65+. Sling is like $35-40 for there cheapest package. My cost of a cable box and cloud based dvr will be offset by not paying tivo $16.21 monthly and the $3 monthly charge for the cable card. Tivo had a good 7 year run with me, and i wish them well but as this past month has shown, when something goes wrong, it's un uphill battle, especially when I have a cable provider that knows jack squat about the tech and doesn't want to support it, as evidenced by 4 different services calls with zero resolution. And with the cable service I can download their app to my apple tvs or IOS devices to watch it anywhere, no need for other boxes. On the plus side I will have a Tivo bolt and 2 minis for sale cheap.
You’re lucky. Even my $30 cable plan has an additional $40 in fees tacked on plus whatever you’d pay for TiVo, so streaming is much cheaper for me. I pay $50 for internet and $55 for streaming. Since 5 other family members can share mine, they don’t have to pay for cable TV either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts