TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Registered
8,336 Posts
Just because it's been the same for 20 years doesn't mean there isn't a better way. I connected dozens of times with the Edge and the earlier version never updated. The TIVO person I talked with said they were working on it (obviously, from this community's discussion as well as the TIVO tech's comment, there were others having the same problem). There was an issue, fortunately eventually corrected, which was preventing some Edges from updating using their historical process.

Anyway, the problem was finally worked out and the Edge updated to the current version.
Right. There was an (alleged) issue with (some) Edge units updating.

That doesn't mean Edge units have a different process for updating than Roamios or that a new process is needed.

It means there was a temporary issue that was resolved.

You said, "like the Roamio, have a specific menu item to check for updates and install". They already do. It was just temporarily broken.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
I don't understand why Tivo Edge units would behave differently. I've had mine for a few weeks and it works flawlessly. I also asked my coworker with Edge - no issues too.
I've been building computers for decades and hardware either broken or it's not. It can't fix itself. 99.9% of a time it's user error - in this case cable company and or/user. I've been lied to by CC tech support so many times that I simply don't believe a word they are saying. Last one was when I lost a few HBO channels (not all). Well, tech replied that cable card is defective. I was naive enough to take it back to replace. Took one week until they found a tech who can actually provision it correctly. Some HBO channels are still missing. Multiple calls until I found "very knowledgeable" tech who said that they moved some HBO channels to SDV and I didn't need new cable card.
Exactly.

Not every Edge unit was having the SDV issues.

Either:
1) There was no "Edge SDV issue" and we simply had coincidental problems of multiple cable installers not properly provisioning some new buyers' Tuning Adapters. This is entirely possible given the amount of times cable installers have no clue.

2) There was, in fact, an issue with some Edge units connecting with TAs with an older SW version (that shipped pre-loaded from the factory and was likely not meant to be in use for long in the wild) and simultaneously an issue with some Edge units not being able to update to a "fixed" SW version. Once that update issue was fixed (supposedly shortly after a customer proposed to TiVo that such a problem was occurring), the affected units updated and the TA issues were resolved.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have had this issue multiple times. Call TiVo cable card support. PITA to fix.
When I put in a New Edge with Spectrum Cable Card & TA there were several Spectrum guys involved. I sent them away and started again in the morning. I had the best luck calling TiVo. They then gave me a Spectrum number that was familiar with the TA & TiVo. Made sure the pairing was correct. Had several choices on the services to select from. The one that matched the pgm & station name and HD worked fine. Took overnight to get the pairing to match but then all was good. Now to to the TiVo and go to the TA and scroll up and down. You have Tuner 0 to 5.
It gives the frequency and channel number. Look at the Signal level. It should be around 94%. SigNoise around 37db. Level must be less than 100 or you are too hot. Put an attenuator to get the level to around 94. If you are too hot it will pixelate. Spectrum has no clue how to trouble shoot this stuff. I had them out several times.
I had a spectrum analyzer and MPEG stream analyzer on this project before I got it more or less reliable.
Johnny

· Registered
7 Posts
It's a EDGE issue.. the box does not even see the TA when you plug it in.. I have a couple of TA all will work in other TiVos(bolt, premier) if I swap around except for my one EDGE unit.. ....wait a min.... I just put a card and a TA that was working on my bolt in the edge and now it seems it!... Huh so maybe it's a marriage issue... Thought I had the issue narrowed down then this . Sorry for no help

· Registered
1 Posts
I just received my new Tivo Edge and setup my CableCARD and Tuning Adapter with Spectrum but we can't seem to get the TA to be detected by the Tivo. In the Devices menu the TA keeps switching back and forth between No Tuning Adapter and Tuning Adapter in User. The light on the TA is solid. This is a new Tivo, TA, and CableCARD.

We tried the following all to no avail.
  • Unpluging the TA from power, USB and COAX, waiting, then reconnecting it.
  • Rebooting the Tivo with and without the TA connected, the plugging the TA back in
  • Verified everything was paired correctly at Spectrum
  • Spectrum tech sent various signals, but nothing helped.
  • Even switched over to the TA I was replacing because my old XL4 finally died. I know it was working before the XL4 started showing a 22: Staging and basically stopped working because it says it can't connect to the Tivo service, even though it does.
  • Tried both USB ports on the Tivo. The Tivo Help site said to use the TOP USB port on the Edge, but they are side-by-side.
I get channels, but not all premium, though.

If I am in Live TV mode, I keep getting a Communication Failure stating the Tivo box is unable to communicate with the TA.

My Tivo Roamio is also using a CableCARD and TA and it works fine. The new Tivo is connected the same way.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or is this brand new Tivo Edge DOA?
Did you get a solution? I am literally having this problem right now. One TiVo Edge works fine and my TiVo Roamio works fine. My new TiVO edge is having this problem.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts