TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Well, Spectrum came out Saturday and wasn't able to fix the issue. I went into the Tivo Diagnostics screen and down at the bottom under the CableCARD section the Connection Status keeps switching between Initializing...Fatal Error - Disconnected, reset...Initializing.

Called up Tivo again and they confirmed something was wrong with the Tivo software and are sending a brand new replacement unit in the next few days. They said they would test it before shipping. Hopefully it still works when it arrives.
Please keep us up to date to see if they do so and if they sent it with the more recent version. The last message I got from them today was:
This is a response to your concern regarding the issue on your tuning adapter and being not able to get your streaming service. We acknowledge you bringing this to our attention. We are sorry for the delayed response as we are receiving high volume of emails than the usual.

After a careful review on your account, we were able to verify that this is an ongoing issue. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We understand how this affects your viewing experience. Please be informed that we are currently conducting an investigation to resolve the issue. Rest assured that you will receive an email notification once the issue will be resolved. As of this moment, your patience will be very much appreciated
And they promptly closed the case again (Despite me saying do not do this until it is actually resolved).

· Registered
7 Posts
At the moment, there is no solution.

The issue is definitely with TiVo and at best, you can approach their customer support and pester them about the situation.

I would suggest also looking at your TiVo's current software version and mention it to them.

As noted in this thread, one of the culprits is the fact that the TiVo Edge may be on the older version and has not 'updated' properly.

So far, two people (Myself included) see we are on 21.9.2.silver.RC5-USM-12-D6F. And I noted to them and sent another Customer Service report after waiting for a week for it to update to see it has not been resolved or moved to the 21.11 version.
I also have been waiting for the new update to 21.11 version. I have tried every way to force an update, but no luck. All I can think of is that the software people are holding the new update while they try and work all all of the known bugs and glitches. I agreed to have them send me another unit to try, and extend my 30 day return policy to 90 days. If this one does not work I will return it and look for a used Roamio unit.

· Registered
27 Posts
Well, called them up yesterday and they understand it is an issue and are 'still working on it'...

In my case, they wouldn't send a new unit, and they are trying to deal with it.

In the meantime, I had to switch to a Roku to watch streaming stuff since I can't on the TiVo.

I strongly encourage other people with the issue to submit a ticket with them to be aware of the number of customers currently affected and noting the software version they are on as well as number of days this started to affect them so they have at least an inkling of the number of users and days of disruption this is causing.

· Registered
6 Posts
I called last week into TiVo Technical Support and requested that I talk to the "Supervisor", I told them that the likely problem was that TiVo's Servers were not updating the software on any new device (Edge) that is placed into service. I told them that it appears that TiVo's Servers are getting a message that tells them the new boxes are getting the Software update, but in fact they are not. I requested that they check their server for this problem, and the Supervisor told me that she would immediately send an email to their software engineers outlining this possible issue. This morning I was able to update the software on my 2 new TiVi Edge boxes, and they now work perfectly. Go to Menu, then Settings, then Network Settings, then click TiVo Service Connection and this will download the software update to your TiVo box, when it is done you will have to restart your TiVo box for the software update to be installed on your TiVo box. The software will update to 21.11.1v9, and the Tuning Adapter problem will be solved.

I would like to thank TiVo Technical Support for helping to solve this problem, they have been very supportive and receptive to ideas about it. TiVo Technical Support also took the time to get on a 3-Way Conference call with Cox Cable to make certain that the cable cards and tuning adapters were working properly, and rule that out as a possible issue earlier last week. I would also like to thank Cox Cable for being very patient and supportive in trying to identify the problem that turned out to not be related to their service.

· Registered
7 Posts
I called last week into TiVo Technical Support and requested that I talk to the "Supervisor", I told them that the likely problem was that TiVo's Servers were not updating the software on any new device (Edge) that is placed into service. I told them that it appears that TiVo's Servers are getting a message that tells them the new boxes are getting the Software update, but in fact they are not. I requested that they check their server for this problem, and the Supervisor told me that she would immediately send an email to their software engineers outlining this possible issue. This morning I was able to update the software on my 2 new TiVi Edge boxes, and they now work perfectly. Go to Menu, then Settings, then Network Settings, then click TiVo Service Connection and this will download the software update to your TiVo box, when it is done you will have to restart your TiVo box for the software update to be installed on your TiVo box. The software will update to 21.11.1v9, and the Tuning Adapter problem will be solved.

I would like to thank TiVo Technical Support for helping to solve this problem, they have been very supportive and receptive to ideas about it. TiVo Technical Support also took the time to get on a 3-Way Conference call with Cox Cable to make certain that the cable cards and tuning adapters were working properly, and rule that out as a possible issue earlier last week. I would also like to thank Cox Cable for being very patient and supportive in trying to identify the problem that turned out to not be related to their service.
I want to personally thank you for your effort and being key in solving this problem. I just updated my Tivo Edge and restarted the box. So far all of my issues with the Tuning adapter, unable to access apps and glitches are gone. You are a God ! I kept telling customer support the same thing, but they would not pursue it. Thank you again, I have fought with this for 5 days.

· Registered
14 Posts

Very nice. Awesome job!!!

· Registered
8 Posts

Guess I should have asked for a supervisor. I asked about the software version as their own website says a newer one is out there. Four calls with them and the wanted to send we a power adapter for my new edge. Oh well, it’s good now and if you got them to fix it, Thanks

· Registered
27 Posts
Check your machines tonight. I just did and found my TiVo Edge just got updated to the 21.11.1v9 version.

My problem is now partially fixed.

Able to use my streaming services when I originally could not, so that is a plus.

Current issue is, now Tuning Adapter is 'in use' but not getting the right TA State for channels, so now I have no channels working at the moment. Will be having a Cox Technician coming out tomorrow to look at the Tuning adapter. Already spoke with their remote tech and unable to get it to show channels at the moment.

I should clarify that when I reboot the Tuning Adapter, I get picture during the bootup time, but once it connects to the TA, lose all channel access.

· Registered
14 Posts
Current issue is, now Tuning Adapter is 'in use' but not getting the right TA State for channels, so now I have no channels working at the moment. Will be having a Cox Technician coming out tomorrow to look at the Tuning adapter. Already spoke with their remote tech and unable to get it to show channels at the moment.

I should clarify that when I reboot the Tuning Adapter, I get picture during the bootup time, but once it connects to the TA, lose all channel access.
It could be that your TA is not authorized/provisioned.
Go to TIVO settings for tuning adapter and check "Tuning Adapter Diagnostics".
Under "Switched Digital Video" you should see Authorized = Yes.

· Registered
8 Posts
Check your machines tonight. I just did and found my TiVo Edge just got updated to the 21.11.1v9 version.

My problem is now partially fixed.

Able to use my streaming services when I originally could not, so that is a plus.

Well it did completely fix my tuning adaptor with spectrum. Good luck! Hope the figure it out.

· Registered
27 Posts
It could be that your TA is not authorized/provisioned.
Go to TIVO settings for tuning adapter and check "Tuning Adapter Diagnostics".
Under "Switched Digital Video" you should see Authorized = Yes.
I spoke with the Cox Cablecard support and they said they had done everything on their end. I will check again when I get home before the tech gets in.

· Registered
14 Posts
Turns out that my Cable Provider's Cable Card Support tech failed to re-do the provisioning. So it is now working properly for me.
That's great news. Congrats.

Now, unfortunately we think that cable company's "support" know what they are doing. Most of the time they have scripts with basic answers - that's all. I've been lied to by support that "cable card is defective", "probably signal problems", "take back tuning adapter and replace" and so on. Most of them have no idea how to correctly provision cable cards, and many have no idea how tuning adapter looks (just ask about TA blinking LED or what status LED should be when provisioned correctly).

Also when the tech comes in he calls "engineering", not dummies at "support". That's why our cable cards and TA adapters suddenly activate after tech's visit (well, most of the time).

· Registered
27 Posts
That's great news. Congrats.

Now, unfortunately we think that cable company's "support" know what they are doing. Most of the time they have scripts with basic answers - that's all. I've been lied to by support that "cable card is defective", "probably signal problems", "take back tuning adapter and replace" and so on. Most of them have no idea how to correctly provision cable cards, and many have no idea how tuning adapter looks (just ask about TA blinking LED or what status LED should be when provisioned correctly).

Also when the tech comes in he calls "engineering", not dummies at "support". That's why our cable cards and TA adapters suddenly activate after tech's visit (well, most of the time).
Well, in this case, it is the tech onsite knowing what to look for versus the random person who sitting in some remote location and trying to follow a script with a system that may be a bit archaic.

When I was on the phone with the Cable Card Tech at the time, he was having problems with the database for my area and I was trying to point him to make sure the card and ta were paired, but didn't realize he probably didn't see if it was provisioned.

· Registered
11 Posts
Same issue here with software update and Spectrum cable-card/Adapter. Just finished long chat with TIVO tech without resolution (they'll send me an email when they find the answer - not holding my breath). Hoping that resolves the issue of no sound when in Quick Mode for recorded shows. Spectrum tech shows up tomorrow to check things out, but I'm not counting on any success. Should have stayed with my Roamio which was working but had a broken and unrepairable HDMI port.
Our TIVO Edge got updated to 21.11.1 within the past day or day (I hadn't been checking). TA still isn't showing up despite efforts two days ago by two Spectrum techs (one somewhat knowledgeable about TIVO and the other, a supervisor, very knowledgeable). Replaced the TA and still no joy. The supervisor said that Spectrum had identified a problem with the USB 3.0 port apparently not being backward compatible with the USB 2.0 port on the Cisco TA (I think I'm relaying his opinion correctly); he said that he had identified the problem while online with both Spectrum and TIVO developers.

Regarding the software update, I can't understand why the update process is so belabored - why not just be able to download the updated software (actually firmware) to a USB drive and install it via a USB port, or, like the Roamio, have a specific menu item to check for updates and install. Seems like a fairly simple solution.

Now I'll have to check to see if I'm getting the sound track in Quick Mode (too late tonight to check it out).

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, I got my new Edge in today and right after I took the plastic wrap off the box I pulled up my existing Edge that wasn't working and see that the TA is now working. I looked and sometime since last post on Monday my Edge updated to version 21.11.1.v9-USM-12-D6F, so that must be what fixed it.

They really, really need a better way to force a software update instead of it taking weeks.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
The supervisor said that Spectrum had identified a problem with the USB 3.0 port apparently not being backward compatible with the USB 2.0 port on the Cisco TA (I think I'm relaying his opinion correctly); he said that he had identified the problem while online with both Spectrum and TIVO developers.
I call BS on this. That would mean no Edge would work with any TA with USB 2.0 which is probably every TA in the wild.

As usual, Spectrum techs lie or just don’t know.

Regarding the software update, I can't understand why the update process is so belabored - why not just be able to download the updated software (actually firmware) to a USB drive and install it via a USB port, or, like the Roamio, have a specific menu item to check for updates and install. Seems like a fairly simple solution.

Now I'll have to check to see if I'm getting the sound track in Quick Mode (too late tonight to check it out).
The process to perform a software update on an Edge is the exact same as on Roamio and on every TiVo for the past 20 years. You make a connection to the service. If an update is available, you get it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Just because it's been the same for 20 years doesn't mean there isn't a better way. I connected dozens of times with the Edge and the earlier version never updated. The TIVO person I talked with said they were working on it (obviously, from this community's discussion as well as the TIVO tech's comment, there were others having the same problem). There was an issue, fortunately eventually corrected, which was preventing some Edges from updating using their historical process.

Anyway, the problem was finally worked out and the Edge updated to the current version.

· Registered
14 Posts
I don't understand why Tivo Edge units would behave differently. I've had mine for a few weeks and it works flawlessly. I also asked my coworker with Edge - no issues too.
I've been building computers for decades and hardware either broken or it's not. It can't fix itself. 99.9% of a time it's user error - in this case cable company and or/user. I've been lied to by CC tech support so many times that I simply don't believe a word they are saying. Last one was when I lost a few HBO channels (not all). Well, tech replied that cable card is defective. I was naive enough to take it back to replace. Took one week until they found a tech who can actually provision it correctly. Some HBO channels are still missing. Multiple calls until I found "very knowledgeable" tech who said that they moved some HBO channels to SDV and I didn't need new cable card.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts