TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Tivo Edge and setup my CableCARD and Tuning Adapter with Spectrum but we can't seem to get the TA to be detected by the Tivo. In the Devices menu the TA keeps switching back and forth between No Tuning Adapter and Tuning Adapter in User. The light on the TA is solid. This is a new Tivo, TA, and CableCARD.

We tried the following all to no avail.
  • Unpluging the TA from power, USB and COAX, waiting, then reconnecting it.
  • Rebooting the Tivo with and without the TA connected, the plugging the TA back in
  • Verified everything was paired correctly at Spectrum
  • Spectrum tech sent various signals, but nothing helped.
  • Even switched over to the TA I was replacing because my old XL4 finally died. I know it was working before the XL4 started showing a 22: Staging and basically stopped working because it says it can't connect to the Tivo service, even though it does.
  • Tried both USB ports on the Tivo. The Tivo Help site said to use the TOP USB port on the Edge, but they are side-by-side.
I get channels, but not all premium, though.

If I am in Live TV mode, I keep getting a Communication Failure stating the Tivo box is unable to communicate with the TA.

My Tivo Roamio is also using a CableCARD and TA and it works fine. The new Tivo is connected the same way.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or is this brand new Tivo Edge DOA?

· Registered
6 Posts
Just got 2 new TiVo Edge boxes, and I am with Cox Cable. Both cannot get all the channels, and even on the channels that it does get you constantly have this message pop up every minute so you can't watch anything: "The TiVo Box cannot communicate with the Tuning Adapter". Have spent 7 hours with 3 different the high-level tech support people at Cox Cable Cad Support; we have repaired the cable cards around 10 times and re-initiated the Tuning Adapters over 10 times. Have changed the cable cards 3 times on each TiVo Edge and have changed the Tuning Adapters 3 times on each TiVo Edge. Have also changed all the cables 3 times. This is definitely not a Cable TV provider issue. I was upgrading from 2 TiVo Premiere XL4 boxes that we re-installed this morning, and they work perfectly after removing the new TiVo Edge boxes. Looking at the Software Version on both new TiVo Edge boxes it is 2 years old at "21.9.2.siver.RC5-USM-12-D6F", the latest version is 21.11...". The TiVo Edge is supposed to update the software immediately upon start-up for the first time, and keep automatically checking for update every day, and you can also "force" an update by going to "Network Settings", then "TiVo Service Connection" and clicking on it to force a software update, but the software is not updating. I have now found through research that this is a known TiVo issue of not communicating with Tuning Adapters from when the Edge was first introduced over 2 years ago. Cox Cable Stores are telling people that new TiVo boxes are no longer compatible with the Cox Cable TV system as they cannot get the new TiVo boxes to work. Sounds like TiVo is on the way to being a defunct company.

· Registered
8,336 Posts
The Edge Tuning Adapter issue was fixed end of October 2019 with version 21.9.2.1.v8-USM-12.

Your version is from June 2020.

So I would say your cable company did not provision the TA properly.

Also, there is no way to force a software update nor does it check immediately upon startup. However, since your version is quite old, it should download after a few connection attempts or days. I’d leave it plugged in and connected and give it a few days.

· Registered
6 Posts
I spoke yesterday with the top Tech Support person at Cox, there is no one higher, and after 3 different techs "provisioning the TA" 10 different times, I seriously doubt this is entirely a "Cox" issue. And even if it is, this thing should not be so much trouble to set up that you have to spend over 7 hours attempting to get it to work. Besides why do my older TiVo boxes work perfectly if it is a "Cox " issue. This is definitely a "TiVo Edge" compatibility issue in one form or another. TiVo tech support was useless and a complete waste of time when I talked to them yesterday, they have no idea why it does not work and offered no solutions at all other changing cables and tuning adapters. This whole "cable card" based product is on the "outs" anyway as fewer and fewer people are using this older technology and it is very hard to get proper support from either TiVo or the Cable companies, because knowledgeable techs about the issues are rare.

· Registered
27 Posts
I am in the same situation, where my TiVo Bolt died and I was provisioned a Refurbed Edge. I'm on Cox as well.

The TiVo would get the channels, however, it keeps coming up with the Tuning Adapter communication issue and I tried another TA, no luck.

On the Edge side, it does flash between 'No Tuning Adapter' to 'Tuning Adapter in Use' with the later just on for a moment.

I also had my TiVo on for at least 3 days (Got it on Friday, still no resolution to it, other than seeing one time it decided to not detect the cable card when I checked in on it and restarted it.)

At the same time, I am literally stuck with the Apps on it not working.

Hulu will come up, but when you try to play a video, it would do the channel promo, then the series promo, but after that, it says it errors trying to show the show itself.

Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon Video won't even load, citing v337.

I'm a long time TiVo user, so kind of getting disappointed if this is what I should be expecting in the case with Cox and maybe I have to resort to using their box and a Roku now.

· Registered
2 Posts
Ditto here after installing a provided renewed Edge Unit after my previous Edge Unit only lasted 6 weeks.

I too have a Spectrum tech coming out on Friday... until then you can kill the power to the tuning adapter and you will get a pass-through of all channels that do not require the tuning adapter. The TiVo "communications" error will quit popping up in the middle of watching what channels do not require the tuning adapter. At least you can watch most channels until fixed.

· Registered
8 Posts
exact same issue. find a solution?

I just received my new Tivo Edge and setup my CableCARD and Tuning Adapter with Spectrum but we can't seem to get the TA to be detected by the Tivo. In the Devices menu the TA keeps switching back and forth between No Tuning Adapter and Tuning Adapter in User. The light on the TA is solid. This is a new Tivo, TA, and CableCARD.

We tried the following all to no avail.
  • Unpluging the TA from power, USB and COAX, waiting, then reconnecting it.
  • Rebooting the Tivo with and without the TA connected, the plugging the TA back in
  • Verified everything was paired correctly at Spectrum
  • Spectrum tech sent various signals, but nothing helped.
  • Even switched over to the TA I was replacing because my old XL4 finally died. I know it was working before the XL4 started showing a 22: Staging and basically stopped working because it says it can't connect to the Tivo service, even though it does.
  • Tried both USB ports on the Tivo. The Tivo Help site said to use the TOP USB port on the Edge, but they are side-by-side.
I get channels, but not all premium, though.

If I am in Live TV mode, I keep getting a Communication Failure stating the Tivo box is unable to communicate with the TA.

My Tivo Roamio is also using a CableCARD and TA and it works fine. The new Tivo is connected the same way.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or is this brand new Tivo Edge DOA?

· Registered
27 Posts
So far, it is been a week for me, been checking up on it and no solution so far.

The last I heard from TiVo is 'they are aware of it and working on it'... But meanwhile, my living room TiVo Roamio which is still working, has no issues what so ever.

I also confirmed I am on the same version as rustylonghorn, 21.9.2.siver.RC5-USM-12-D6F, and the box has been on for a week with no updates and no resolution.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Spectrum tech came out today and couldn't fix the issue. He said it was paring issue on their side and to take my cable cards and tuning adapters to the Spectrum store and have them remove the old TA and CC, which then did. So now, I have the new TA and CC for my new Edge and my older Roamio has it's own TA and CC, which works perfectly.

I called Spectrum again and they confirmed my new TA and CC are paired correctly to the Edge, but the TA in the setup screen keeps switching between and forth between "No Tuning Adapter" and "Tuning Adapter in use", so annoying.

My Tivo software version is also 21.9.2.siver.RC5-USM-12-D6F. The Edge has been on for 9 days and still hasn't updated the 21.11. They really need to provide a better way force the update because the instructions I found online don't work.

Since I tried TWO different TAs and CCs and have the same issue, this definitely seems like an issue with the Tivo Edge. I plan on calling them next week and getting a new Edge sent out, but if it comes with the same software version I doubt it will help.

· Registered
8 Posts
The Spectrum tech came out today and couldn't fix the issue. He said it was paring issue on their side and to take my cable cards and tuning adapters to the Spectrum store and have them remove the old TA and CC, which then did. So now, I have the new TA and CC for my new Edge and my older Roamio has it's own TA and CC, which works perfectly.

I called Spectrum again and they confirmed my new TA and CC are paired correctly to the Edge, but the TA in the setup screen keeps switching between and forth between "No Tuning Adapter" and "Tuning Adapter in use", so annoying.

My Tivo software version is also 21.9.2.siver.RC5-USM-12-D6F. The Edge has been on for 9 days and still hasn't updated the 21.11. They really need to provide a better way force the update because the instructions I found online don't work.

Since I tried TWO different TAs and CCs and have the same issue, this definitely seems like an issue with the Tivo Edge. I plan on calling them next week and getting a new Edge sent out, but if it comes with the same software version I doubt it will help.
Definitely an Edge issue here.

· Registered
2 Posts
Definitely an Edge issue here.
Agreed... Spectrum Techs did all they could including providing new tuning adapter and confirming correct pairing. TiVo tech support acknowledged that this appears to be an issue with the Edge, and further ackowledged that the "renewed" unit they had provided to me was actually originally returned for a tuning adapter issue. Guess it was not correctly "renewed" as I apparently got somebody else's problem. Another "renewed" Edge Unit is on its way.. Praying this will finally resolve this issue for me, as I have 4 other Mini's contingent on a properly functioning Edge unit.

· Registered
7 Posts
Installed my new Tivo Edge on 3/17/22 and have nothing but problems. First it took forever for Spectrum to recognize my cablecard. Finally got connected. Then the Tuning adapter switches between connecting and disconnecting giving me an error code of V88. Cannot access Netflix or Prime Video thru apps - get V337 error code. Tivo unit seems to randomly reboot on it's own while watching TV. Have contacted first Spectrum, and everything on their end looks normal. Contacted Tivo support and was told the V337 error code is being worked on. My old Tivo Premier 4 is flawless with no problems. Are these new Tivo Edge units problematic? I am hoping that Tivo will send me another unit, as I have been fighting these problems for 2 days now. Anyone else having multiple problems? Any advice on a solution? Please advise. Thank you.

· Tivo Late Bloomer
apexadam
16 Posts
I spoke yesterday with the top Tech Support person at Cox, there is no one higher, and after 3 different techs "provisioning the TA" 10 different times, I seriously doubt this is entirely a "Cox" issue. And even if it is, this thing should not be so much trouble to set up that you have to spend over 7 hours attempting to get it to work. Besides why do my older TiVo boxes work perfectly if it is a "Cox " issue. This is definitely a "TiVo Edge" compatibility issue in one form or another. TiVo tech support was useless and a complete waste of time when I talked to them yesterday, they have no idea why it does not work and offered no solutions at all other changing cables and tuning adapters. This whole "cable card" based product is on the "outs" anyway as fewer and fewer people are using this older technology and it is very hard to get proper support from either TiVo or the Cable companies, because knowledgeable techs about the issues are rare.
Sad but true. It took me a few TA's, 2x Cards, and talking to the right Spectrum provisioner to get mine to work. Still one solitary channel in the lineup never works, ever. Spectrum finally told me they just don't care and Tivo said they can't do anything about it. :(

· Registered
27 Posts
Installed my new Tivo Edge on 3/17/22 and have nothing but problems. First it took forever for Spectrum to recognize my cablecard. Finally got connected. Then the Tuning adapter switches between connecting and disconnecting giving me an error code of V88. Cannot access Netflix or Prime Video thru apps - get V337 error code. Tivo unit seems to randomly reboot on it's own while watching TV. Have contacted first Spectrum, and everything on their end looks normal. Contacted Tivo support and was told the V337 error code is being worked on. My old Tivo Premier 4 is flawless with no problems. Are these new Tivo Edge units problematic? I am hoping that Tivo will send me another unit, as I have been fighting these problems for 2 days now. Anyone else having multiple problems? Any advice on a solution? Please advise. Thank you.
At the moment, there is no solution.

The issue is definitely with TiVo and at best, you can approach their customer support and pester them about the situation.

I would suggest also looking at your TiVo's current software version and mention it to them.

As noted in this thread, one of the culprits is the fact that the TiVo Edge may be on the older version and has not 'updated' properly.

So far, two people (Myself included) see we are on 21.9.2.silver.RC5-USM-12-D6F. And I noted to them and sent another Customer Service report after waiting for a week for it to update to see it has not been resolved or moved to the 21.11 version.

· Registered
11 Posts
Same issue here with software update and Spectrum cable-card/Adapter. Just finished long chat with TIVO tech without resolution (they'll send me an email when they find the answer - not holding my breath). Hoping that resolves the issue of no sound when in Quick Mode for recorded shows. Spectrum tech shows up tomorrow to check things out, but I'm not counting on any success. Should have stayed with my Roamio which was working but had a broken and unrepairable HDMI port.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, Spectrum came out Saturday and wasn't able to fix the issue. I went into the Tivo Diagnostics screen and down at the bottom under the CableCARD section the Connection Status keeps switching between Initializing...Fatal Error - Disconnected, reset...Initializing.

Called up Tivo again and they confirmed something was wrong with the Tivo software and are sending a brand new replacement unit in the next few days. They said they would test it before shipping. Hopefully it still works when it arrives.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts