TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I'm having this exact issue. Bought my mom a second hand Mini v1 from Facebook Marketplace to replace hers that failed. The previous owner had upgraded it to TE4 and Mom's Premiere is, obviously, still on TE3. I've gotten it to see the shows on her main box before it enters the "Please check your internet connection" loop so I know everything network-wise is fine. I was about to get really annoyed with the seller thinking he sold me a dud, but then I found this thread. Here's hoping TiVo fixes whatever they broke soon.
Everyone experiencing this problem needs to make sure they've opened a support ticket with TiVo, and perhaps share their ticket numbers with each other to make TiVo aware of the widespread nature of the issue ... and to short-circuit the typical troubleshooting and deflection one might experience when calling TiVo Support.

p.s. Yet another user reporting the issue, just this morning, here: Used Mini Losing Connection with Network

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
No luck activating the new mini online. Called support and after a few short holds I was told in 24 to 48 hrs the new mini will be on my account as well as an email with a ticket number confirming. I'm glad I'm not in a hurry but this is going as well as expected.
The Mini may be "on your account" much sooner than that. The "24 to 48 hours" caution is because the host DVR must be made aware of the new device on the account, and TiVo Support, insanely, is just leaving that up to the DVR making its regularly scheduled service connection ... rather than forcing a service connection on the DVR.

So, the recommendation is ... to force a couple service connections on the DVR which you intend to assign as the host DVR for the Mini, then, after the DVR service connections have completed, power cycle the Mini and see if you have better luck.

See >this post< for background.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
They've DM'd me on Twitter, so if somebody who's actually experiencing this issue has a Twitter account and could work with them, please PM me your Twitter handle. (Perhaps no rush. The extent of their interaction, thus far, is asking if the host DVRs are running TE3.)

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
They're now asking for TSNs, so I've directed them to @dmk1974 via Twitter. If anyone else is experiencing this issue and has a Twitter account, PM me your Twitter handle and I'll forward it along.

(Not sure what the policy is on this, so I'm refraining from soliciting TSNs for problematic Mini/host DVR pairs, directly.)

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
Interesting post on Facebook, in reply to my FYI notice Re: this issue...

(link)
Jay Mallan

This just happened to me when I sold a mini 93000 on eBay. The new owner couldn't get it to work with his TE3 host. I gave free shipping to him and had to pay the return shipping. It was hooked to my TE4 host and worked without issues.

I hooked another 93000 up that was also last hooked to a TE4 host and then hooked it to a TE3 host and was able to get that one to work with no issues. I sent that Mini to the new owner and am waiting to hear back after it arrives tomorrow. AND, I lost out on the shipping to get the 2nd 93000 to him that was last hooked to TE3 instead of TE4.

Why would one Mini 93000 not roll back and the next one have no problem rolling back? I am pissed off about the $35 in shipping I lost and the time and frustration dealing with this BS.

Also, the 93000 he sent back to me rolled back to TE3 and worked fine with my Roamio PRO running TE3.
He was getting that same network error with the dog with the network cable in its mouth.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
i had opened the tivo cases 09884788, 09886608, and 09888369.
I got 09886608 escalated to the "back office", but they came back and said it was a problem on my end and told me to buy a new tivo mini lux at full price.
FWIW, I DM'd @TiVoSupport on Twitter w/ a link to your post, complaining that they still seemed to be treating this as a Mini glitch.

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Web page

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
"At present, buf case 516968 is already resolved and it only applies for TiVo BOLT OTA DVRs since the downgrade for this specific model. For your TiVo Mini, please contact our tech support team at 877-367-8486 so that they can force and downgrade the software for your TiVo Mini."​

So it appears that TiVo does not have a bug open for the mini not being able to downgrade.
In a sense, this information might be considered progress.

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
I finally broke down and called into TiVo support. I was expecting the worse (wasting an hour going though basic "check your Internet" troubleshooting), but it was actually a fairly quick (5 mins?) painless call. Unfortunately they couldn't actually "force the downgrade" and fix it. The tech basically said "they have a known issue on this, he's going to send a request to back office to get this fixed, I will receive another email after this is fixed." So I guess for now I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope they get it fixed eventually.
If they happen to make contact with you on this, again, see if they'll divulge a bug# for the "known issue."

· TDL shepherd
17,863 Posts
How I solved the Blue Dog on the Mini problem.
TL;DR version: I didn't! But Pedro Passapera, my extremely helpful Amazon seller, worked with me to replace my blue dog special Mini w/ one known to be running TE3.

Sorry you had to go through all that, but very glad you were able to work around it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts