TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Trouble with the TIVO Wireless G Adapter

10K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  MTBRScott 
#1 ·
I am having an extremely frustrating time hooking up the TIVO brand Wireless G USB Network adapter.

I plugged the unit into the USB port on my TIVO, and the green light on the network adapter unit shows that it is connected. When I went to set up on the TIVO Box, it is telling me that there is nothing connected and to plug it in and try again.

I followed all the instructions, and have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions. This was supposed to be easy according to the website!!! Any help is appreciated, this is turning into more work and frustration than its worth.

Here is my information:
Tivo Series 2 - 40hr
My 15 Digit number starts with 540
Tivo Wireless G USB Network Adapter (the only one guaranteed to work according to the website :eek: )
Linksys Wireless G broadband router
Version 7.2 software

Been on hold for over an hour with customer service (I have listened to the entire song selection allready :down: ). Someone came on, gave me a case number, then put me back on hold.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not that I'm all knowledgeable on Tivos, but I have a fair amount of networking experience. Are you using WEP or WAP on your router which you'd need to configure your Tivo to work with?

This is as much of a question as a suggestion, I haven't tried hooking up my as of yet non-working Tivo to a network....

#4 ·
Perhaps there is something wrong with your TiVo adapter. When I plugged it in, the green light lit up and then the TiVo displayed a message saying that a network adapter was detected. With the new software on the TiVo and the adapter, it was really easy to set up and it just worked. No restart of the TiVo was required. I was impressed.

#9 ·
OK, including the 1.5 hours I spend on hold with customer no service, I am now 7 hours into this little adventure, and all I have is a case number (I got that 35 minutes into the call), and a load of frustration :mad: .

I have software version 7.2.1-oth-01-2-540. My network adapter is the super easy to use TIVO brand adapter that is supposed to be plug and play :confused:

I have performed the following:
- Unplugged the network adapter for 30 seconds and plugged it back in.
- Restarted the DVR
- Erased and reset the DVR
- Unplugged the DVR, waited a minute or so, then plugged it back in.

Evertime, I have received the exact same screen:

"The TIVO DVR has not detected your Network Adapter. PLease make sure the network adapter is securly plugged into a USB port on the back of the DVR."
[Has a picture of the back of the DVR].

I am totally and completely stumped. I am also not all that energetic to skip a day of work and sit on the phone for several hours waiting for Customer service to answer the phone. Aside from taking a crowbar to the DVR and/or the Network adapter ;) . . . any suggestions?

#12 ·
all that and still not working....its got to be a defective adapter. Tell em you want another one. Unforuntely, that requires another call to TIVO...

#14 ·
If the next call takes more than an hour . . .I am just going to give up and wait for a better alternative.

I tried to find something at best buy that was on the "approved list", but no luck. It would certainly make returning items easier.

I have a Linksys USB wireless G adapter, the TIVO recognizes it, and even connected once, but there are obvious conflicts.

#15 ·
Well . . . only 45 minutes this time. Without me telling the person the problem, they said "Is the TIVO not recognizing the adapter?" Which leads me to believe I am not the first one to have this problem.

At lunch, I did a couple things:

1) I plugged the TIVO adapter into my computer, and the computer recognized it. I went back to the TIVO, and had the same problem (and yes . . I did make sure I pushed it all the way in)

2) I plugged another Linksys Wireless G adapter I had around the house, and the machine recognized it almost immediately. It did not work with the other Linksys wireless G I had, but it seems to be working with this one. I was able to update succesfully, and I even looked at a few pictures on my computer through the TIVO. It will be nice if that lasts. None the less, I wont be cancelling the home phone this month. ;)

THanks for your help, the bald spot on my head did not grow nearly as much as it could have without your help ;) (that was a joke in case ya missed it)

#21 ·
IN case your curious . . .

My Linsys wireless G, only worked for the one update, then I lost the connection. I went on ebay last night and purchased a D-Link Wireless that is on the "tivo approved" list. I am to the point of curiousity more than anything else. I have a bad habit of being a gadget hound.

#22 ·
Make sure the TiVo wireless adapter (or for that matter any wireless adapter) is not sitting near the TiVo receiver (per instructions) to avoid signal interference.

I am assuming that you activated your TiVo service prior to installing the network adapter and have followed the instructions on page 112 of your User's Guide for wireless set-up.

When you visit TiVo Central, you'll be able to see that your wireless settings are registered. You might have to wait an hour or so for them to show-up though.

I too have a Linksys model WBT54G Wireless Router and it works great!

My only problem is converting existing .wma music formats to .mp3!

Any suggestions?

#25 ·
As for the OP, since you got an unsupported adapter to at least work for a short time, it seems obvious that you've received a bad adapter. As for reading into the agent's question, they're told to ask this in order to clarify the situation....something that may require disconnecting the adapter or even restarting the DVR...again, this does not seem to apply in your situation.

Deeva_lee, need more info.
What models are each of your units (TSN starting with 140, 240, 264, 275, 540, 565, 590?) and which SW version is each running?
For the "bad" unit, has it ever had an adapter connected and working with the current version of SW?

#26 ·
thanks TivoJerry. I sent the USB Wireless unit back, to much stress.

Enjoy Alviso, I grew up in Cupertino . . remember that whole area back in the 70's and 80's when it was all countryside and farmlands. You cant beat the weather in the bay area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.