TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of 3TB Bolt+ units (long story). One is in normal use and one is emergency spare. The main unit failed and I will be ordering an external 3TB Tivo-formatted drive from Weakknees. I want that unit to return to being the primary unit so that the stupid 2.5" HDD in the backup unit lives to record another day. In the meantime, that unit has amassed a bunch of content - content which I wish to transfer to the primary/WeakkneesHDD unit. Because I only normally run one Bolt+ at a time, I only have one cable card from Cox. Will I need a second cable card to do the data xfer OR is there a better way to move the data from the backup unit's 2.5" HDD to the new 3.5" external HDD? Both are 3TB but that's likely the only similarity. I realize that some of the data won't (or at least shouldn't) move due to copyrights, etc, hence my "is there a better way" question.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,552 Posts
I have a pair of 3TB Bolt+ units (long story). One is in normal use and one is emergency spare. The main unit failed and I will be ordering an external 3TB Tivo-formatted drive from Weakknees. I want that unit to return to being the primary unit so that the stupid 2.5" HDD in the backup unit lives to record another day. In the meantime, that unit has amassed a bunch of content - content which I wish to transfer to the primary/WeakkneesHDD unit. Because I only normally run one Bolt+ at a time, I only have one cable card from Cox. Will I need a second cable card to do the data xfer OR is there a better way to move the data from the backup unit's 2.5" HDD to the new 3.5" external HDD? Both are 3TB but that's likely the only similarity. I realize that some of the data won't (or at least shouldn't) move due to copyrights, etc, hence my "is there a better way" question.
  • TiVo units are not good storage units - too many ways to lose your shows. USE A NAS.
  • When a TiVo unit crashes / fails, *EVERYTHING* is lost: Shows, Season Passes, Cable Card pairing, etc...
  • TiVo Unit-to-TiVo Unit local LAN transfers are the best method.
  • Copyright-Protected shows won't transfer under *ANY* method.
  • TE4 (21.x) units MUST use TiVo Online to initiate transfers.
  • TE3 (20.x) units can initiate transfers between one another on the individual TiVo unit.
  • Downloads to PCs (via PyTiVo Desktop, PyTiVo OG, kmttg, https, etc...) can result in TS Sync Errors (for Transport Stream transfers; MANDATORY for H.264 program content) or garbled closed captions (for Program Stream transfers) or PERFECT TRANSFERS (if the stars align properly ;) ).
    Use the DirectShow decoder (FREE) w/kmttg! TiVoLibre (also FREE) is a second choice; VideoReDo ($$$) is the best choice.
Have fun! Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • TiVo units are not good storage units - too many ways to lose your shows. USE A NAS.
    (Not applicable to this situation, but you're right).
  • When a TiVo unit crashes / fails, *EVERYTHING* is lost: Shows, Season Passes, Cable Card pairing, etc...
    .(Yes, I am aware of this. The content I wish to transfer is what has amassed on the SPARE unit currently in service. I wish to transfer that content back to the primary unit once the replacement HDD unit comes in)
  • TiVo Unit-to-TiVo Unit local LAN transfers are the best method.
    (OK, thx. That's what I thought but it's good to have confirmation. That's also the SIMPLEST.
  • Copyright-Protected shows won't transfer under *ANY* method.
    .(Yeah, I knew that, just called it the wrong thing. Thx)
  • TE4 (21.x) units MUST use TiVo Online to initiate transfers.
    .(Hmmm... Never had to do that. Hopefully won't have to this time either. Sounds like a PITA.)
  • TE3 (20.x) units can initiate transfers between one another on the individual TiVo unit.
    .(This is how I've done it during prior failures)
  • Downloads to PCs (via PyTiVo Desktop, PyTiVo OG, kmttg, https, etc...) can result in TS Sync Errors (for Transport Stream transfers; MANDATORY for H.264 program content) or garbled closed captions (for Program Stream transfers) or PERFECT TRANSFERS (if the stars align properly ;) ).
    .(Good to know, thx.)
    Use the DirectShow decoder (FREE) w/kmttg! TiVoLibre (also FREE) is a second choice; VideoReDo ($$$) is the best choice.
Have fun! Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both tivos need to be activated. You can only watch, but cannot transfer, recorded content on an unactivated tivo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.