TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tivo premiere on wireless and a new Tivo bolt to install. I have Tivo desktop on an old PC that no longer can get on the internet. I understand the desktop is no longer available. How can I "easily" transfer the recordings on my Premiere to my new BOLT.
Is there a shareware equivalent to Tivo Desktop or can I copy the files from the inactive computer to my current and use Tivo desktop?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Chuck

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I have a Tivo premiere on wireless and a new Tivo bolt to install. I have Tivo desktop on an old PC that no longer can get on the internet. I understand the desktop is no longer available. How can I "easily" transfer the recordings on my Premiere to my new BOLT.
Is there a shareware equivalent to Tivo Desktop or can I copy the files from the inactive computer to my current and use Tivo desktop?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
Chuck
If your Premiere is using a wireless "N" adapter, you can just use your network. While wired Ethernet will be faster, wireless is going to be about 60Mbps. Also, you can use TiVo Online to move the programs. If you have more than 5 this will be quicker. -> http://online.tivo.com/start/wtw This assumes you are using the classic UI on your Bolt. If it is running Hydra you will have to use TiVo Online.

The Premiere can show you the transfer rate. When you install the Bolt it will install Hydra. That doesn't have network transfer diagnostics.

I think you may want to read some of the Hydra threads. You have a lot to learn.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,308 Posts
You can copy (transfer) the (only unprotected) shows over to the PC/Mac with Tivo Desktop, KMTTG, PyTivo. It can be stored there for longer periods.

You need to add the new Tivo to your account (and have it subscribed to Tivo Service) before you can transfer shows to it. If the Tivo is on Hydra, then you may not be able to transfer shows (yet).

·
Super Moderator
59,384 Posts
If the Tivo is on Hydra, then you may not be able to transfer shows (yet).
Possibly never. We've heard nothing from TiVo suggesting this functionality will be returned to Hydra. And given that TTG runs on an old http/xml based system, and all of Hydra runs on the newer RPC/mind system, I personally don't think they have any plans to restore this functionality. This is why even on Gen3 they still use an old S2 style UI for PC transfers because they can't use the RPC/mind system the rest of the UI uses.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I transferred 350GB of programs from my Premiere to my Hydra Roamio OTA with TiVo Online. It took a while, but they all look good so far. Some even got their SM back.

I don't have any copy protected content. But that's my cable feed.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
CAUTION: You really need to decide if you want to keep the nasty Hydra interface BEFORE you copy any shows over to that new box (unless you plan on keeping the old Premier active along with the Bolt). Here's why - if you decide later that you really want to down-convert that new box to the old Gen3 interface, you will loose any and all recordings on the box!

·
Registered
23 Posts
With the latest update to the TiVo OS, the transfer recording function from one TiVo device to another is missing. I like to transfer programs from my TiVo Premiere to my TiVo Bolt so I can utilize the skip function. What happened to this feature. My TiVo Premiere can record shows my TiVo Bolt cannot.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
With the latest update to the TiVo OS, the transfer recording function from one TiVo device to another is missing. I like to transfer programs from my TiVo Premiere to my TiVo Bolt so I can utilize the skip function. What happened to this feature. My TiVo Premiere can record shows my TiVo Bolt cannot.
If the TiVo OS is Hydra, then you will have to use TiVo Online to copy programs to the Bolt.

Also see post 6.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I went to TiVo Online and found my recordings on both TiVos.
Any idea why the transfer function was removed from "Hydra"? It's a lot of extra steps for something that was accomplished using my remote. Now I have to use a PC to accomplish the same function.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I went to TiVo Online and found my recordings on both TiVos.
Any idea why the transfer function was removed from "Hydra"? It's a lot of extra steps for something that was accomplished using my remote. Now I have to use a PC to accomplish the same function.
I never ask why anymore. :(

There's also the TiVo app. Works on my notepad most of the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to transfer shows from one bolt to another at my cabin. Nothing seems to transfer. Do the Tivos have to be on the same network in order for transfers to work?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,308 Posts
I'm trying to transfer shows from one bolt to another at my cabin. Nothing seems to transfer. Do the Tivos have to be on the same network in order for transfers to work?
Yes, for Tivo-to-tivo transfers, they have to be on the same network.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.