TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope i am commenting in the right forum. If not let me know what forum to use.

I am trying to transfer something that's copy protected on my tivo roamio to my computer. Is there any way i can do this. I've tried using the tivo desktop software and kmttg and i am unable.

Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You can not do it with TiVo Desktop nor with kmttg.

The only way I know how to do it is to use a video capture device, either with composite or with HDMI by somehow defeating HDCP. Oh, and with the Series 3 you could hack the firmware to prevent copy protecting being added in the first place, but that won't help with recordings that are already done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can not do it with TiVo Desktop nor with kmttg.

The only way I know how to do it is to use a video capture device, either with composite or with HDMI by somehow defeating HDCP. Oh, and with the Series 3 you could hack the firmware to prevent copy protecting being added in the first place, but that won't help with recordings that are already done.
So basically using a video camera and pointing it at the tv?

·
wait.. I did what?
15,341 Posts
Likewise, my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo has a built-in DVR player/recorder that I can record my TiVo box content to. It's been so long, though, I don't recall if it checks for a copyright protection flag.
Protection in the analog S2 world is not at all the same as being able to set the copy bits in the digital stream world so the S2 works on a completely different principle.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Likewise, my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo has a built-in DVR player/recorder that I can record my TiVo box content to. It's been so long, though, I don't recall if it checks for a copyright protection flag.
For a Series 2, the copy (not copyright) protection flag was not relevant and wasn't part of the system. The copy protection flag is something set in the digital signal that comes from your cable company. A Series 2 recorded the composite SD video stream output from your set top box if you were on cable. A Series 2 only records SD and hence is obsolete.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
So basically using a video camera and pointing it at the tv?
No, basically like putting a box (the video capture device) on the cable(s) between your TiVo and your TV and recording the signal. If you record the HDMI signal it's a digital recording so very little information is lost. With component recording the process is analog, but in practice there is very little difference between the quality of the recordings, at least in the first generation. With HDMI you need to figure out how to defeat HDCP copy protection.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Bad example. "M*A*S*H" was recorded on film.

It is well known that viewing SD is likely to cause vision problems and well as delusions; as explained here.
Which explains so much for people growing up in 60s, 70s, and 80s. ;)

(Btw, I don't remember the last time I used the Series 2's DVD burner--this decade? I'm not as bad as all that.)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hello,

I hope i am commenting in the right forum. If not let me know what forum to use.

I am trying to transfer something that's copy protected on my tivo roamio to my computer. Is there any way i can do this. I've tried using the tivo desktop software and kmttg and i am unable.

Any suggestions would help.
No, you can not transfer something that's copy protected on your TiVo Roamio to your computer that is what copy protected means,

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Hmmm. Could you elaborate?
There used to be Series 3 activity in hacking the firmware by burning a new ROM and replacing it on the motherboard, and one of the hacks would prevent the copy protection flag from being put on new recordings. But after the Series 3 the ROM was more tightly integrated with the motherboard, and I suspect other measures have been taken to protect against changing the firmware; in any case, nobody claims to have hacked ROMs on anything after Series 3. (Note this is real firmware, not the Linux operating system that gets replaced when TiVo sends out an update.) And none of this would help with recordings that have already been made, especially if they are on something other than a Series 3.

If you had a Series 3, a ROM burner, and the skills to modify and burn a new ROM and replace a surface mount chip you could think about doing this. IMO a video capture device is far more practical.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
I can make DVD quality recording using the composite outputs of my Roamio. Then take the DVD to the PC. I did a ton of them way back when. Almost no reason to do that these days as you can stream a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I can make DVD quality recording using the composite outputs of my Roamio. Then take the DVD to the PC. I did a ton of them way back when. Almost no reason to do that these days as you can stream a lot of stuff.
I used the component outputs to make HD 1080i recordings of a lot of movies and put them on a NAS. Then I figured out how to capture HDMI and did a lot more. My iPad, Roku, Apple TV and my two smart TVs can all play this content with DNLA, and I can download it to my iPad for airplanes. But as you say, why bother with better quality movies and series that I haven't already seen are available for streaming at 1080p, 4k and HDR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.