TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Call me Bob
813 Posts
If you can get the transfers to work between two 810's, you kind of can do heads and tails editing. The transfer can be set to start from a pause point (which will remove the head). You can also cancel a transfer in progress (which will remove the tail).

I think you're the first person with two of the DVD-R units and HMO who has tried a transfer.

· Call me Bob
813 Posts
I came up with that one several months ago (like November) when I thought it would be possible to do so with a Series 2. I figured out that as long as the program originated on a Pioneer, it should be possible. However, it was found out that you can't do this.

Either the block on HMO transfers is universal (as you might find out) or it's not really a check of the format -- if it comes from a Series 2, it's no good -- even though it's encoded properly.

· Call me Bob
813 Posts
I agree completely with you. You didn't happen to catch the name of the agent did you? If you did, I'd suggest you send a PM to TiVoBill with this information.

I'm involved with an outsourced tech support group here at work and there is absolutely no excuse for making a customer feel like you were made to feel.

Also, it's a big deal that these programs cannot be burned in my opinion. It would appear that the software took the "easy" way out. Rather than really checking the format of the file, it's a generic block against anything which didn't originate on the unit itself.

· Call me Bob
813 Posts
Originally posted by SonyPlanet
Cody, case #1690541, level 2 support. Oh yeah, and he hung up on me.

I've had about 15 different TiVos since 1999; I've gotta be one of their best customers.

Oh, yeah, and how horrible is that automated voice recognition system? It's the true meaning of hell on my handset.
You should send this and some of the background in a PM to TiVoBill. If he's anything like me in dealing with interactions between the customer service folks and customers, he'd want to know about a case like this.

· Call me Bob
813 Posts
I get around the limitation when coming from a Series 2 by using the Record from VCR/Camera option. Here's the way I have my Pioneer wired which allows me to feed the Pioneer using either VCR or the feed from a Series 2.

· Call me Bob
813 Posts
Originally posted by SonyPlanet
Well, sure, if you want to exit the digital domain and put up with signal degradation! Unfortunately, what happens with that route is horrifying-- your sat receiver decompresses the video to s.video, your TiVo recompresses it & stores it on the hard drive, you transfer that over the network and play it back throught the composite out decompression, then the Pioneer burner recompresses the composite signal to put it on the hard drive, and finally the DVD burner software recompresses yet again to put it into MPEG2 format for burning on the DVD. Wow.
No satellite receiver here, but you're right about all the compression and stuff going on -- but it works for those cases where there's nothing else to be done. Some signal degradation is better than a blank screen.

BTW -- Keep us posted if you hear anything back from TiVo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.