TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Birthday Hug Monkey
27,674 Posts
I think you'll find good throughput if you get wireless bridges as opposed to wireless adapters. In upgrading my network at home, I wound up with a couple of Linksys Wireless B access points that weren't going to be used. I hooked them up in bridge mode. One is plugged into my wireless G/switch upstairs, the other into a hub downstairs. My Tivo just has a USB ethernet adapater so it can plug into the hub (along with my PS2 and a computer in the basement). The bridging mode of the access points seems to make a difference. It seems that when communicating in a native wireless mode, the Tivo ran much slower than when it communicated over an ethernet adapter, regardless of the fact that the ethernet adapter was plugged into a wireless bridge. Even though it's a B standard, the only shows that take longer than real-time to transfer are the ones recorded at Best Quality. And even then, a Best Quality show only takes an additional 30% time (a 1 hour show transfers in 1hr, 20min).

I haven't examined wireless networking too closely, but I'm getting the impression that the PC/Tivo itself has more work to do with a wireless USB adapter, and Tivos are more fussy in general about it, than they would be with an ethernet adapater. Ethernet connectivity is pretty straightforward, so I'm seeing (from the posts here) that people are getting better throughput when their Tivo has an ethernet adapter hooked up to a wireless bridge, than when it's just a wireless adapater. I know it doesn't make much sense at first, but it seems to be a trend among the posts here (and with my own personal experiences).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.