TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
ComputerTech said:
After finding this information I called TiVo tech support to inquire about the USB port version and they conformed that the USB ports are version 1.1, BUT they guy also said he believed that TiVo Series 2 systems running their software version 7.1 would change the USB ports from 1.1 to 2.0 and inturn increase the transfer speeds from 12Mb/s to 480MB/s.
Hmm.. this doesn't sound right to me. I believe the actual architecture of USB 2.0 itself is different from 1.1 and 1.1 cannot be upgraded to USB 2.0 through a software update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ComputerTech said:
That's what I thought. I believe the first guy I talked to didn't know what he was talking about.
Yeah, doesn't sound like it.. but hasn't USB 2.0 been around since 2001? It wouldn't make sense for newer Tivos to have USB 1.1 ports.

Unless maybe the Tivo 4.x software only supported USB1.1 since maybe it was around before USB 2.0 and it was used only for programming updates, and the 7.x updates the driver since there is now a legitimate use for the increased speed?

I dunno.. I just got my Tivo and I don't know that much about it yet, especially version history.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CrispyCritter said:
The relatively few early TiVo Series2 models beginning with 1 (eg (140)) have USB 1.1 hardware and nothing can change that to USB 2.0. The vast majority of TiVo Series2 models, whose numbers begin with 2 or 5 (240, 540, ...), have USB 2.0 hardware which is finally taken advantage of in 7.1 for the first time.
Ahh.. I see.. thanks for the help, Crispy.

So would you happed to have any idea why the hell did it take damn near an hour for my Tivo to transfer a 30min show at High Quality with my USB 200M?

I just got the 7 update, should I disconnect and reconnect my USB adapter? Wait that doesn't make much sense..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.