1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FAA Certified Pilot
10 Posts
802.11b = 11MB

802.11g = 54MB

Wired = 100MB <---- My personal choice!

You do the math!

I laughed when I first heard series 2 TiVo's were going to work with wireless B and now wireless G. I thought to myself, who in thier right mind would think of transfering video over wireless? Now it is even funnier that people are now complaining that their transfer speeds are slow. Maybe people don't realize how large a 1 hour video file is. Of course wireless is slow. It was never mint for transferring huge video files, only to easily browse the internet from the comfort of your lazy-boy.

If you don't plan to use Multi-Room viewing or TiVo To-Go then wireless is a nice simple way for your TiVo to be on a home network. But if you are the type wanting to transfer video across your network, then take the time to install a wired network, all your problems will go away.

(Hmmm...... Wonder if gigabit network adaptors are supported? Have to look into that..... If anyone knows let me know!)

·
FAA Certified Pilot
10 Posts
Nicodemus said:
Could the bottleneck be the fact that it's going through USB? Or is the Tivo USB port USB 2.0?
After reading this post I wondered if the USB ports on the TiVo series 2 were version 1.1 or 2.0.

According to the system specs. of the series 2 TiVo the 2 USB ports are "Type A" which is version 1.1

If this is accurate it would explane why people are having so much trouble. USB 1.1 is only capaible of transfering at speeds of 12MB/s whereas USB 2.0 is able to transfer at speeds of 480MB/s

Basicly it wouldn't matter wheather you used wireless type B or G, or even wired. If the USB ports are version 1.1 the maximume transfer speed is 12MB/s.

TiVo reccomends using the Linksys USB200M adaptor for wired networks but if their USB ports are only version 1.1 it wouldn't make any difference, the maximum transfer speeds could only reach 12MB/s which is much slower that the full speed of wired network which transfers at 100MB/s

After finding this information I called TiVo tech support to inquire about the USB port version and they conformed that the USB ports are version 1.1, BUT they guy also said he believed that TiVo Series 2 systems running their software version 7.1 would change the USB ports from 1.1 to 2.0 and inturn increase the transfer speeds from 12Mb/s to 480MB/s

I had orginally thought USB versions were a hardwired and could not be changed with new software, so I will continue to research.

If anybody else has some imput please let me know.

·
FAA Certified Pilot
10 Posts
I have done some more research and talked to another person at TiVo tech support.

As far as I can tell the USB ports are verson 2.0 if you are running version 7.1.

The tech person I talked to this time was 100% sure the USB ports were version 2.0 and capible of transfuring at 480MB/s

This is good news for people who are using wired networks. People who arn't I would shrongly reccomend takeing the time and effort to wire your TiVo.

·
FAA Certified Pilot
10 Posts
Nicodemus said:
Hmm.. this doesn't sound right to me. I believe the actual architecture of USB 2.0 itself is different from 1.1 and 1.1 cannot be upgraded to USB 2.0 through a software update.
That's what I thought. I believe the first guy I talked to didn't know what he was talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.