TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks --

My SD-H400 has had problems with ED (ejectile dysfunction) for some time now, but i've always been able to get it to eventually perform -- in the worst cases, by unplugging it and letting it reboot. But now i've got a disc in it and even rebooting doesn't work. Of course it is out of warranty. Anyone have any tips?

More specifically, after i stop the dvd (2x if necessary) and hit the eject button, the unit makes a sound like it's trying to eject and the display reads "opening...". This goes on for a protracted time. Then the display changes to "closing" (argghhh!) and then "loading" and the disc starts PLAYING again.

While i'm here, perhaps i can impose on you folks' kind natures and ask about a couple of other problems, although i doubt they are related to the ED? About a year ago the unit lost its ability to connect via the phone line (yes, a phone plugged into the same jack / same cord works fine). Not too big a loss, though nice if i could fix it. The biggest hassle is that it now doesn't keep its clock updated and has gradually crept ahead so that it now runs 43 minutes fast. Is it true that there is no user-accessible way to reset the clock?

So, to sum up, this well-loved but, face it, somewhat older unit is dealing with ejection problems, difficulty connecting, and clock-related issues. Maybe i should be posting on a doctor's forum?

Thanks very much for any help.
 

·
Registered Snoozer
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Look for a small hole in the front of the unit that you could insert an unfolded paperclip into, it's the manual eject hole. I'm not sure where it is on that unit, but it should be on the face of the drive somewhere.

It sounds like your DVD drive is going to need to be replaced, but you should try cleaning it with compressed air first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This model doesn't have a paperclip hole -- i wish it did! I can open the outer lid with my fingernail, and pull on the dvd tray with the tips of my fingers (while it's trying to eject) but no go. I hesitate to try pliers (or a crowbar) when i have no idea what's happening inside. I do appreciate the air spray suggestion -- it does look dusty in there & if i can ever get it open i will spray it out. I tend to forget how often that 'fixes' electronics. But meanwhile...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
With the power turned off, you should be able to gently pull the tray out. If the power is on, the system may fight you, and then you end up using too much force.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was so excited when i saw this suggestion -- i thought for sure it would work. But no matter which bits i pull or pry on, the plastic just flexes so far i think it's about to break. And it doesn't budge, other than flexing. Grrr.... Thx so much for the idea, tho. <more growling>
 

·
Registered Snoozer
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
zanna said:
This model doesn't have a paperclip hole -- i wish it did! I can open the outer lid with my fingernail, and pull on the dvd tray with the tips of my fingers (while it's trying to eject) but no go. I hesitate to try pliers (or a crowbar) when i have no idea what's happening inside. I do appreciate the air spray suggestion -- it does look dusty in there & if i can ever get it open i will spray it out. I tend to forget how often that 'fixes' electronics. But meanwhile...
In that case I'd suggest opening the box, removing the drive, and you should be able to get to the manual release hole that way. Crazy that they didn't provide access. This would be a good time to get the model number off the drive so you can start looking for a replacement. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
zanna said:
I was so excited when i saw this suggestion -- i thought for sure it would work. But no matter which bits i pull or pry on, the plastic just flexes so far i think it's about to break. And it doesn't budge, other than flexing. Grrr.... Thx so much for the idea, tho. <more growling>
I've done this with mine and it works. I wonder if the disk slipped off the tray and is jammed. If so, then opening the case and pulling the drive to work on it may be your only option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lafos -- do you mean you tried pulling on the tray and it worked?

robourn -- thx much for your reply. i'm trying to avoid opening the case, but maybe i'll just have to dewimpify.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
zanna said:
lafos -- do you mean you tried pulling on the tray and it worked?

robourn -- thx much for your reply. i'm trying to avoid opening the case, but maybe i'll just have to dewimpify.
Yes, it did. It was a while back, and I had put in a self-made DVD that the SD-H400 didn't like. In my case, it seemed to be a logic problem that locked the tray. If your disk was not seated properly in the tray or lifted out a bit, then it could be physically jamming the mechanism. Surgery may be your only option.

If you succeed in getting the disk out, I'd suggest working the tray mechanism empty several times to make sure it works. If it doesn't, then a replacement is needed.

BTW, Weakknees has a step-by-step guide for replacing the hard drive in your unit. It shows how to open the case. You can find a link to it in the upgrade forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I had the same problem. I was able to get the disc to eject by using a paper clip. There is a gear on the left side under the DVD tray when you open the DVD door. If you use the paper clip to push the gear to the left, the tray will move forward. The tray can then be pulled once it is out far enough. I did this while the the unit was unplugged with no power.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top