TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Toshiba RSTX20 Dead!!!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  windracer 
#1 ·
I was watching tv and the picture froze. I had to unplug the unit and now when I plug it back in the welcome screen shows for afew seconds then it goes off and the HDD and the DVD lights are orange. The fan is still working so I don't think its a power issue. Is it the hard drive? Is there anything I can do to check it? Also I read somewhere about someone (stansimons?) who has an image I could copy if I got a new drive. Thanks in advance for everyones help!!!

#2 ·
Sounds to me like the same thing mine did when the hard drive crashed. Mine was still under warranty at the time so I got a little lucky there. As for how to check it yourself? I am not sure that you can unless you spend many $'s on software and equipment.

#5 ·
Sounds like the hard drive is failing after it heats up. Sometimes a drive will work again (for a short while) after it cools down. I have actually frozen "bad" drives so I could get the data off them, soon has they get hot again problems start again.

Good Luck,

#6 ·
The freezer trick has worked many times for me in the past. :up: I've heard people have had success with Steve Gibson's SpinRite program as well.

If you're comfortable doing a drive upgrade yourself, you can put the failing drive in your PC along with a new, blank HD, and use something like MFSLive to image your old drive to the new one. If you freeze the old drive first, it might run long enough to get a complete copy.

Otherwise, I'm sure you could find a TX20 image from someone here. ;)

#7 ·
My own RSTX is in the process of dying. I've turned it off for now, but it needs to be back up with the Fall Season upon us!

Wind - image request PM about to be sent. TIA again, as before :)

Apologies for my prolonged (and continuing) absence around the Upgrade/Help forums, O ye regulars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.