TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Richard was going to break down and cry when Padma teased him by telling him to pack his knives, <pause> because he's going to the finale.

Wish i could lick the TV to taste the food.. It all sounded so good.

· Notable Member
93,533 Posts
I thought Richard was going to break down and cry when Padma teased him by telling him to pack his knives, <pause> because he's going to the finale.

Wish i could lick the TV to taste the food.. It all sounded so good.
That was harsh!!!

I wonder if they always planned on having a five person finale or if they had planned for four, but changed their minds because everyone cooked good stuff for that "elimination" challenge.

· Registered
321 Posts
I'm also wondering if it was the plan all along to not fail anyone. It must have at least been a double-secret option all along.

It kind of felt like they set it up for this to happen though. With the families sitting at the table, none of the judges could really go off and say anything other than how wonderful everything was.

It's obvious why they didn't have Anthony Bourdain there this week.

· Notable Member
93,533 Posts

It kind of felt like they set it up for this to happen though. With the families sitting at the table, none of the judges could really go off and say anything other than how wonderful everything was.
The parents weren't at judges table. Just the regulars, plus guest judge Dan Barber. If someone really missed the mark, they would have let us know.

It's not that unusual to see everyone do well, especially in later rounds. But they always find some small nit to pick with someone to send them packing.

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
Antonia got the SUV in the elimination challenge, but what did Carla get for winning the quickfire? Did she get anything? I thought that was a poor quickfire.

They should have cut somebody in the elimination challenge. So is next week's (3/9) episode the finale? At the moment, the program description is blank, and the duration is 1:00. I don't see anything new on 3/16.

· Go Pats
43,202 Posts
Antonia got the SUV in the elimination challenge, but what did Carla get for winning the quickfire? Did she get anything? I thought that was a poor quickfire.

They should have cut somebody in the elimination challenge. So is next week's (3/9) episode the finale? At the moment, the program description is blank, and the duration is 1:00. I don't see anything new on 3/16.
Yeah the quickfire was really bad. The past seasons, the last finale was two episodes (I think)

Will the next episode be a double elimination?
I hope so! Eliminate two, then do the 3 person finale

· Registered
1,552 Posts
According to epguides.com, 3 more eps:

113 8-13 09/Mar/11 TBA
114 8-14 16/Mar/11 TBA
115 8-15 23/Mar/11 TBA

(TBA - is what the title of the ep will be)

That was the first time I ever remember where they didn't have anything but extremely minor nits on anyone's dish.

· No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place
2,589 Posts
I was annoyed that there was no actual elimination as well.

I'm also annoyed at the lack of Bourdain. Didn't they say at the beginning of the show that he would be a regular judge? He has been on, what, 3 or 4 times?

I can't believe Carla won the QF with her fruit thing.

· Notable Member
93,533 Posts
I was annoyed that there was no actual elimination as well.

I'm also annoyed at the lack of Bourdain. Didn't they say at the beginning of the show that he would be a regular judge? He has been on, what, 3 or 4 times?

I can't believe Carla won the QF with her fruit thing.
He is a "regular". He just alternates back and forth with Gail. So, he's not on every show like Tom and Padma, but a lot more than if he was a "guest judge"

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
I liked the elimination challenge, in that they had lots of time and could cook pretty much anything they wanted fitting their individual genealogy themes. All of their dishes sounds great. One thing that stood out to me, and to Gail, as she writes in her blog...

"...every single one of them did some sort of braised meat. Mike did the braised pork, Antonia did the braised veal, Carla did braised pork shoulder, Tiffany did short ribs, and also Richard did short ribs."

· Notable Member
93,533 Posts
I liked the elimination challenge, in that they had lots of time and could cook pretty much anything they wanted fitting their individual genealogy themes. All of their dishes sounds great. One thing that stood out to me, and to Gail, as she writes in her blog...

"...every single one of them did some sort of braised meat. Mike did the braised pork, Antonia did the braised veal, Carla did braised pork shoulder, Tiffany did short ribs, and also Richard did short ribs."
I noticed the braised meat thing, too. If you didn't know any better, one might have thought that was a specific requirement for the challenge.

I would have loved that meal. I loves me some braised meat.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
OMG, Poor Richard! That was really harsh.

I, too, was annoyed that nobody went home. I would have preferred Tiffany go but would accept either her or Mike leaving. I'd like to see a final with Richard and Carla.

During all the tasting and judging, however, it was clear that this was not going to be a slam dunk. Too bad they couldn't lump in some previous performances. That would garner a result that would probably have them letting Tiffany go, since she dodged the bullet quite a few times.

· Preowned Member
904 Posts
I've been away a lot the past few weeks, so I haven't had a chance to update my rankings (see below) or comment, and there have been some major upsets and happenings.

Angelo, Angelo, Angelo. I think he's the one most likely to be put off by a lack of sleep - he's wired a certain rigid way that doesn't allow for lack of sleep, which I think was really underrated in his losing performance.

And then Dale T.! After winning both the quickfire and the elimination challenge the week before, he goes home. What have you done for me lately, I guess. He just never looked comfortable with that amberjack.

That makes five men in a row that have been eliminated, after 3 straight women.

Good to see them all hit it out of the park this week - usually the judges save that kind of slobbering praise for the finals.

Here are my latest rankings of the remaining chefs, along with the finishing position of eliminated chefs - the pre-season draft positions in a "fantasy Top Chef" competition between my wife and I are in rounded parentheses, and the number of elimination challenge victories and quickfire challenge victories are in square parentheses:

1. Richard (1) [2 1/3, 1 1/2]
2. Carla (10) [3, 1]
3. Antonia (18) [2, 1/4]
4. Tiffany (14) [0, 0]
5. Mike (9) [0, 2]

Out:
6. Dale T. (5) [3, 3 1/4]
7. Angelo (2) [1 1/3, 0]
8. Fabio (8) [0, 0]
9. Tre (15) [0, 1 1/4]
10. Marcel (4) [1/3, 0]
11T: Tiffani (17) [0, 1]
11T: Jamie (13) [0, 0]
13. Casey (6) [0, 0]
14. Spike (11) [0, 1/2]
15T. Stephen (12) [0, 1/4]
15T. Dale L. (7) [0, 0]
17. Jen (3) [0, 0]
18. Elia (16) [0, 0]

Season rankings (chefs remaining) [chefs eliminated]:
Season 4 - Chicago (Richard, Antonia) [Spike - 14, Dale T. - 6]
Season 7 - Washington D.C. (Tiffany) [Angelo - 7]
Season 5 - New York (Carla) [Jamie - 11T, Fabio - 8]
Season 6 - Las Vegas (Mike) [Jennifer - 17]
Season 3 - Miami (none) [Dale L. - 15T, Casey - 13, Tre - 9]
Season 2 - Los Angeles (none) [Elia - 18, Marcel - 10]
Season 1 - San Francisco (none) [Stephen - 15T, Tiffani - 11T]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.