TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
have not used it but it seems kind of redundent to TiVoToComeback

why not make an HME client that will download video/podcasts from the net and convert them to an mpeg2 format that the TiVo will just suck in with no hacks needed on the TiVo box itself ?

·
Registered
991 Posts
ZeoTiVo said:
have not used it but it seems kind of redundent to TiVoToComeback
The main benefit for many is that tivoserver can be used with DTivo's running 6.2.
why not make an HME client that will download video/podcasts from the net and convert them to an mpeg2 format that the TiVo will just suck in with no hacks needed on the TiVo box itself ?
We already have that with Galleon.

·
Registered
273 Posts
from my post in TiVo Underground:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3697780&&#post3697780

rpdre1 said:
The difference between TiVo Desktop and TivoServer is that Tivo Desktop only lets you insert MPEG-2 videos and only with stanalones. TiVo Desktop will not do any converting for you. TivoServer will serve videos of various formats (mpg, m2v, xvid, divx, wmv, etc) without requiring you to convert them first. TivoServer will convert them on-the-fly during transfer.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
rpdre1 said:
from my post in TiVo Underground:
TiVo Desktop will not do any converting for you. TivoServer will serve videos of various formats (mpg, m2v, xvid, divx, wmv, etc) without requiring you to convert them first. TivoServer will convert them on-the-fly during transfer.
yes, and the part missing from Galleon is that amount of conversion. I was thinking more on the lines of bitTorrent until there is some equivelent going straight into the TiVo.

so yes a good step forward in hacking TiVo's that need it like DirectTV DVRs

·
Registered
991 Posts
ZeoTiVo said:
yes, and the part missing from Galleon is that amount of conversion.
You probably already know this, but Galleon can use vlc (or other external tools) to do a lot of the transcoding chores, as described here. VLC supports an extensive list of input formats and video/audio codecs, as listed here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.