TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a seagate 750gb drive into my new TivoHD and its starting to have issues.

The system seems to grind to a halt whan recording; menu selections take a few minutes etc and the picture stutters and breaksup.

Also recordings are in folders, each movie seems to be broken into 3 parts, is that normal?

I guess my drive isnt good? or its too slow?

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
I wouldn't have messed with it till the warranty was up since it's a brand new product line. Bummer. Good luck with returning it if it's something other than an issue with the new hard drive you put in. Maybe you zapped something on the main board when you were in there swapping out the drive.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
It sounds like your new drive is defective and/or overheating. The standard 750Gb Seagate drive runs pretty darn hot. Members have seen an abnormally high percentage of drive failures when using the [non-DB35] 750Gb Seagate to expand storage with the Series3.

I would return that Seagate drive and buy a Seagate DB35 instead, or at the very least, another drive that will dissipate less heat.

I assume you kept the original TivoHD drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stanley Rohner said:
I wouldn't have messed with it till the warranty was up since it's a brand new product line. Bummer. Good luck with returning it if it's something other than an issue with the new hard drive you put in. Maybe you zapped something on the main board when you were in there swapping out the drive.
Why? i didnt break any seals, id just put the old drive back in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bkdtv said:
It sounds like your new drive is defective and/or overheating. The standard 750Gb Seagate drive runs pretty darn hot. Members have seen an abnormally high percentage of drive failures when using the [non-DB35] 750Gb Seagate to expand storage with the Series3.

I would return that Seagate drive and buy a Seagate DB35 instead, or at the very least, another drive that will dissipate less heat.

I assume you kept the original TivoHD drive.
It is running very hot; i took the lid off and felt the heat, the drive was very hot to touch.

Ive shut the unit down for now; ill put the old drive back in and see if it has the same issues but i doubt it... i might go for the samsung range as they are supposed to be cool and quiet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
You should verify that the case fan is working too. Perhaps when you took off the lid, you dislodged something? Also, even with the original drive, verify the temperature under the System Information screen isn't too high.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rainwater said:
You should verify that the case fan is working too. Perhaps when you took off the lid, you dislodged something? Also, even with the original drive, verify the temperature under the System Information screen isn't too high.
I ran the unit with the lid off and the fan is running; its by the psu, seems to be no exhaust or intake to pull air accross the hard drive area.

Ill run it tonight and check the temp; then put the original drive in and repeat. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ya, I returned the 500GB Seagate I had purchased for my Tivo HD upgrade because I was concerned of these exact issues, heat levels, noise, etc.

I purchased a 500GB Deskstar instead. I will run the Hitachi Diagnostics on the drive when I get it and set it up for the lower performance acoustic profile which should also keep the temperature down.

This is all assuming that I end up keeping the Tivo HD.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
TerryTT said:
Oh and is the breakup of programs into 2 or 3 parts normal? or is that when the box cant access the drive for a moment?
No, that is not normal.

The only time you would normally expect to see multiple "parts" of a program is if the box reboots during a recording.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i did some temp checks, didnt seem to be any difference, 45c ish. I put the old drive in and am running some recording tests but so far so good, so it looks like my seagate 750gb drive might be junk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yea, I'm going with a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB for just the heat and noise reason. It gets the best reviews for heat and noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.