TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TivoHD is really slow changing between channels. It takes 3-10 seconds per channel before I see anything on the screen.

It says "Searching for Signal on Basic Cable In. See Messages & Settings'/'Troubleshooting' for info."

I've done everything mentioned in the troubleshooting menu.

Has anyone else seen this issue yet? I don't have an HDTV (yet) and I currently have analog cable through TWC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I called Tivo and reported the problem. He gave the following reasons/explanations:

- Tivo has always taken that long. (I told him I've had both S1, S2 and it's never had that problem.)
- CableCARDs take about that long to get a signal. (I told him I had Analog cable.)
- That's how TivoHD works. It first looks for CableCARDs and then looks for your analog tuner. (He then said it would speed up once I got a CableCard.)
- Tivo may fix the issue with a software upgrade.

Not really sure what to make of what he said, but if you run across this problem please report it!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Channel changing on the Series3 is definitely faster with digital channels (i.e. CableCard).

Analog channels are converted to digital and MPEG-2 encoded before they are decoded and display displayed. Digital channels are directly decoded and displayed.

Analog channels
  1. Analog NTSC decoded by Philips/NXT SAA7138CHL ADCs and digitized
  2. Encoded into MPEG-2 by VIXS XCode 2115
  3. MPEG-2 stream saved to drive buffer
  4. MPEG-2 stream read from drive buffer by Broadcom BCM7401 MPEG-2 decoder

Digital channels
  1. MPEG-2 demodulated from cable using QAM/VSB demodulators
  2. MPEG-2 stream saved to drive buffer
  3. MPEG-2 stream read from drive buffer by Broadcom BCM7401 MPEG-2 decoder

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was a disappointed with my Series 3 after upgrading from the Series 1 in December.

Yes, the Series 3 tuner is slow to change channels. I've gotten over it and adapted by using the channel guide to pick channels rather than surfing.

I don't think the cable card helped, but that was 6 months ago.

I'm still very satisfied by the Series 3 and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I see a lag (using it without CableCARDs at the moment) with channel changing and do see the "Searching" message from time to time, but I wouldn't say it's 3 to 10 seconds.

I haven't called Tivo yet on it, but I will. (Mostly to supress the false error message).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jfh3 said:
I see a lag (using it without CableCARDs at the moment) with channel changing and do see the "Searching" message from time to time, but I wouldn't say it's 3 to 10 seconds.

I haven't called Tivo yet on it, but I will. (Mostly to supress the false error message).
Are you using OTA or Standard cable? What are you using for output? Component, Composit, S-Video, or HDMI?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm having the same delay issue when changing channels. I get a gray screen for 1-3 seconds with the "searching" message. I have standard cable without cable cards and use composite cables.

There also is some herky-jerkey movement when I switch screens.

I assumed this would be fixed with a software upgrade and would be very disappointed if its inherent in the product. I shouldn't have to revise my way of watching tv (such as the comment above that the person no longer surfs channels and only uses the guide) to accommodate the product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just "upgraded" from my S1 box to a HD box, and I'm getting the ungodly 6-second delay whenever I change channels. It's not just when "channel surfing" - if I pick a channel from the guide and click on it, it takes 6 seconds before I get any picture.

If TiVo is saying it's always been like this, that's a lie. (I'm using all the same hookups as before, and I'm not using a CableCard.)

Furthermore, my S1 box never had a problem connecting to the remote phone line; this HD box can only connect directly.

I'm very unhappy with the HD box so far, and I might ship it back to TiVo within the 30-day trial period and go back to my much-better Series 1 box.

Technology (and a $300 price tag) is supposed to advance, not take us two steps back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts