TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people on here have "an ear to the ground" as far as when new products will be coming out and all that stuff, so I was wondering if anyone has an idea of when the price of the TivoHD will come down a bit...I don't know if there's generally a set time period or if it varies by product. I know some other units came down fairly quick after coming out.

Also, is there any word on what they'll start coming w/ TivoToGo capabilities?

Thanks!

·
Wear Your Mask!
63,903 Posts
I would be surprised if the THD had a price drop. According to their latest quarterly call, they're already selling it below cost.

TTG is a software update, so when it gets released, all the THDs will get it.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's really not that crazy of a question. Everything drops eventually, and somethings go faster then others. I rarely buy things the second they come out because it's usually not long before the price goes down form the initial launch price... And I don't even know exactly when the THD came out so sue me!!

And also, the S3 was so rediculously overpriced that I can't even believe it sold as well as it did. No one should have to pay $800 for a DVR box. Obviously the TivoHD is a much better alternative, but I still feel like $300 + tax, etc, is a bit too much because it's only a 20 HR unit. I guess I'm the minority. I figure at least $249 would be reasonable.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
If you know anything about consumer electronics you should know that it always costs more to be an early adopter of any new technology. The HDTivo for DirecTV sold for $999 when it was first introduced and they couldn't keep them in stock to fill the demand. Apparently a lot of people didn't mind paying a grand for a HDTivo. The price didn't dop much at all for the first 12-18 months, and even then it only dropped to about $600-700.

The Tivo HD has only been out for about a month so don't expect to see any major price drops anytime soon. Compared to the S3, the Tivo HD is a steal at only $299. OTOH, you could always rent a DVR from your local cableco if you don't want to pay the price of admission. Then again, it wouldn't be a Tivo and they generally have less than 20 hours of storage.

The size of the hard drive is irrelevent. Most people upgrade the drives as soon as they get them (I know I do).

·
Registered
20 Posts
mrdazzo7 said:
I know some people on here have "an ear to the ground" as far as when new products will be coming out and all that stuff, so I was wondering if anyone has an idea of when the price of the TivoHD will come down a bit...I don't know if there's generally a set time period or if it varies by product. I know some other units came down fairly quick after coming out.

Also, is there any word on what they'll start coming w/ TivoToGo capabilities?

Thanks!
I have found this the cheapest price at buy.com using this 5% off coupon it comes to $267 and change including shipping.

·
Go Pats!
9,606 Posts
Big Deficit said:
Following Apples iPhone path, the price of the HD should drop to ~$200 any day now and all of us that bought at $299 should expect $50 worth of Tivo plushies and tee shirts! :)
I thought they would be offering dates with TiVoShanan?!?!?! ;)

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I didn't know it only came out a month ago, I though it's been out for longer. Oooooooops.....

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
BearXOX said:
I have found this the cheapest price at buy.com using this 5% off coupon it comes to $267 and change including shipping.
If you don't have a Amazon credit card now that the least expensive way to get the TiVo-HD as it is less than $250 with free shipping. My daughter just paid $248.99, ordered on Friday being delivered today with the free shipping option. It can't get better than that !!! (Price $278.99 -$30 for taking the Amazon.com Credit Card)

·
Registered
20 Posts
lessd said:
If you don't have a Amazon credit card now that the least expensive way to get the TiVo-HD as it is less than $250 with free shipping. My daughter just paid $248.99, ordered on Friday being delivered today with the free shipping option. It can't get better than that !!! (Price $278.99 -$30 for taking the Amazon.com Credit Card)
Buy.com has the same deal with a buy.com credit card, will take $30 off as well, making it $237.39 shipped, after you use the 5% off coupon I posted earlier as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
keep watching the forums. Every so often a big/strange deal will come along. If I remember correctly, the first week the THD came out, circuit city was selling them for like $259, plus people had found a $40 off $200+ purchase. So they were getting the units for like $219 before taxes.

You can read all about that deal here
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360493&page=1&pp=30&highlight=circuit

Circuit city first listed the boxes at $269, and then dropped them down to $259. Throw in the $40 off coupon and you had an amazing deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to get my box from Best buy for 246 bucks. THey matched the 279.99 costco price then i was able to talk the guy into getting a 12% off coupon on top of that. Just try a few places, and threaten to buy from somewhere else and you might get a deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.